81 | COUP DE GRÂCE

COUP DE GRÂCE
(n.) a decisive finish blow, act, or event

TESSA WAS PRETTY DAMN SURE THE SINGLE, COARSE BLACK HAIR SHE FOUND ON HER SWEATER WASN'T HERS. She should know — she spent eighteen years growing out her blue-black hair to be able to tell this strand of hair belonged to Bellatrix Lestrange.

     The initial was plan for Tessa to drink the Polyjuice Potion, but she took a step back and allowed Hermione to do it instead. She may be a bitch who would be able to play the sadistic role of the mad woman well, but she wasn't feeling up to it. It still gave her chills when she remembered the feeling of a thousand knives digging through her skin that day. And also because they agreed it would be safer for her to stay hidden with Harry.

     "And you'll be using her actual wand," Harry said to Hermione, "so I reckon you'll be pretty convincing."

     "I hate this thing," Hermione mumbled lowly as she picked up Bellatrix's wand. "I really hate it. It feels all wrong, it doesn't work properly for me. . . It's like a bit of her."

     Tessa let loose a long and weary sigh as she said, "Mione, I'm sorry — if you really don't want to do it, then I can — "

     "No," Hermione cut in, reaching over to hold Tessa's hand in hers. "No, I don't want you to go through her again. It's okay, I can do this," she added in a trembling voice.

     "It'll probably help you get in character, though," Ron offered. "Think what that wand's done!"

     Hermione exhaled. "But that's my point! This is the wand that tortured Neville's mum and dad, and who knows how many other people? This is the wand that killed Sirius!"

     A pause followed where they all shared a moment of silence.

     "I miss my wand," Hermione muttered. "I wish Mr. Ollivander could have made me another one too."

The door of the bedroom creaked open as Griphook entered. They all turned to the goblin as Harry said, "We've just been checking the last-minute stuff, Griphook. We've told Bill and Fleur we're leaving tomorrow, and we've told them not to get up to see us off."

     Griphook was constantly at the back of Tessa's mind — like warning bells going off whenever the goblin narrowed his eyes at the sword. Especially when either Harry or Tessa would grab hold of it. He didn't seem to trust them, and neither did they at him.

     Tomorrow couldn't come any sooner than it did. Morning arrived, and they found themselves waiting out in the garden for Hermione and Griphook. Tessa shivered from the chilly dawn, pulling Draco's jacket tighter around her. She still had the same one from their third year — it was slightly worn out by now, but at least it's clean from it being laundered.

     Tessa sighed wearily, tipping her head back so she could stare up at the sky. Stars were blinking out as lazy hues of sunrise began to spread throughout the horizon. She could hear the crashing waves from where she stood, the sound bringing her comfort as she smiled to herself in memory of Sebastian and Nikolai.

     She hoped they were doing all right.

     The sound of the door opening pulled her from her thoughts, and she turned to see Bellatrix Lestrange approaching them with Griphook. Tessa shuddered inwardly on how she wouldn't have been able to tell it was Hermione until she spoke.

     "She tasted disgusting, worse than Gurdyroots. Okay, Ron, come here so I can do you . . ."

     Tessa's mouth twitched at what Hermione said, trying not to make an inappropriate joke at the moment.