Chapter Fifteen

The decade dance was tonight and here I was stuck helping set the dance up. I wasn't even coming. Rebekah and I were sorting through the streamers.

"Are you coming?" she asked.

"Nope." I shook my head quickly. Me and dances, not a good match.

"Why the bloody hell not?" she asked with a spike of temper.

I rose a brow at her as I turned to give her my full attention. Rebekah and I had kind of become friends since she took a stake to the heart for me.

"One, I don't have a date and don't even say Jeremy because, no!" I shuddered a little. I loved Jer but at the moment, him and Elena were walking a close line of my signing myself into the closest mental hospital. Not to mention I had been avoiding Alaric, I was terrified that he was just gonna attack me again and lock me up. then there was the whole, what I did to him and Damon. I looked at my hands for a few seconds before I felt something soft flutter across my face. Blinking, I turned to see Rebekah frowning at me.

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to be self-absorbed."

"See, this is why I like you and not that doppelganger witch." She mused.

"That witch is my older sister Rebekah." I felt my defensive system go into play. Jeremy and Elena would be two people I would always defend, even if they were wrong.

"I know." She shrugged.

There was silence again as we sorted through more of the streamers, I pulled a pile up and pulled a face.

"Kol."

"What now?" I asked turning to her quickly at the mention of her brother's name. my heart sped up as I glanced around quickly.

"You should ask Kol." She suggested.

"No." I answered immediately.

"Why not?" she pouted at me.

I sighed.

"For starters, we aren't friends. Secondly, he wouldn't agree. And lastly, just no." I summed up. even to my ears they were terrible excuses.

"Oh, please? He needs a little fun." She pleaded.

"Fun?..." I furrowed my brow. A decade dance would be fun? In what world?

I heard some laughter and smiled, gesturing to the girls that walked past.

"Compel one of them to ask him."

"He won't go with one of them. he will go with you."

"No, he wouldn't"

I turned and grinned at Elena from my spot on the couch as she walked into the living room.

"I will get my stick ready to beat the boys back." I grinned.

She giggled at me, twirling around in a tight purple dress and fake blonde wig. We smiled before a knock at the door sounded. She looked at me and went to say something when I pointed at her.

"NO! I am staying home, with pizza and spiderman."

"I have my phone....on loud.....that will be in my hand. Call me when...." I nodded.

"When or IF I need you to come home. Gotcha."

She walked out before I heard Damon yell as she opened the door.

"Always room in my car for a Little Gilbert." He sung.

I bit my lip. I had been avoiding Damon too.

"No thanks!" I shouted. I heard the front door shut and their whispers which had me rolling my eyes. Could they not wait until they were in the car first? A few minutes later, I heard Jeremy's heavy footsteps coming down the stairs. He walked into the living room with a bowtie in his hand. He held it out with puppy dog eyes.

"You want me to tie that.....so you can wrap me in another hug and try begging me to come with you tonight, so I am within reaching distance of you?" I summed up.

He shrugged and I rolled my eyes jumping to my feet. He bent down so I could tie the bow tie.

"Jords..."

"Jer, don't. everyone has been babying me."

"I was going to say save me some pizza."

"Liar......but I will." I laughed whacking his shoulder. He pulled me into a hug before we heard the front door opening. We turned to see Bonnie in a lovely orange dress and her hair half up and half down. She grinned at the both of us before walking over to stand closer. I looked up and Jeremy and he grinned at me. we reach over and dragged her into our hug.

"I can see why Elena loves these hugs."

She laughed and we both smiled.

After I pulled away, I saw Jeremy about to say something.

"Have fun. No later than 1am or I will personally come down and drag you home by your ear." I warned with a wink. Jeremy saluted me before reaching over and kissing my forehead.

"Call me...."

"I will text you once ever hour as per our agreement."

"Fine." He scowled.

I walked them to the front door and waved at them as they drove off. I grabbed my phone texting Rebekah to have a good night.

I was halfway through spiderman with Tom Holland when I heard a knock at the door. My heart froze in sheer panic. I got to my feet and wondered over, taking a breath before opening the door to a smiling Kol.

"My, my, I would have thought you to be at the decade dance."

"Not my thing." I answered.

"Dancing?" he guessed. I nodded. "I believed you danced wonderfully at our ball."

"I like that dancing, I just don't like....teenagers and dancing......nooo way." I shuddered. He chuckled.

"I would have to agree with you." He mused.

I smiled a little before leaning against the door. I looked behind me and before I could say anything, he shook his head.

"Don't do that, love. On the contrary to my brother, I believe everyone should have a place they feel safe."

"Oh." Was all I could manage. I turned and grabbed one of Jeremy's hoodies and threw it on. I walked out, sitting on the swing on the porch. Kol took one of the empty seats.

"I believe we owe each other a conversation; don't you think darling?"