Read My Lips: Chapter 26

Chapter 26

The books and the movie’s lie.

You know when you’re reading a book and the main character can’t sleep so she gets into bed with someone she loves and finally sleeps? Rubbish. It doesn’t even work.

Regardless of the fact Zach was in bed with me that night, lying together didn’t help me sleep at all. I think I got around two to three hours of overall sleep that night. However, Zach seemed to sleep perfectly fine.

No matter how many times I tried counting sheep or counting into the hundreds, nothing helped. All I could think of was the cottage and being kept in there. I probably sounded like a baby with the way I was going on about it but when nothing like that has ever happened to you before then it kind of hits you.

By the time it hit eight am, I was wide awake and bored out of my mind. Zach was still fast asleep underneath me; he’d hardly stirred all night. I didn’t want to get out of bed though, since it was Zach’s house and not my own, I felt weird wandering around someone else’s house or bedroom, for that matter. 

My head was still aching but only dully. It was better from how it was before and it wasn’t as prominent which made me feel slightly better.

After laying there in bed for a while longer, I decided to get up. I couldn’t lie there for anymore. I headed towards the door which I knew led to the en-suite bathroom and headed inside, closing the door behind me.

A groan escaped my mouth as soon as I looked at myself in the mirror. I looked awful. My hair was a mess, my eyes were red with dark circles underneath and I literally just looked a mess.  

I took the brush from the side before brushing through my hair and tying it up into a high ponytail. Then I searched the bathroom for a spare toothbrush. Most people had spare ones, right? I finally found one in the cupboard underneath the sink.

After washing my face and brushing my teeth, I felt a lot better and looked a bit more presentable. Tiredness was still washing over me though and all I wanted to do was curl back up in bed and go to sleep but I knew that wasn’t going to happen.

Unsurprisingly, Zach was still asleep when I re-entered the room. His chest was rising and falling as he slept and I found myself standing in the doorway of the bedroom watching him sleep. It sounded creepy but as I watched him, all I could think about was how lucky I was to have him.

He was willing to risk himself getting hurt and injured repeatedly just to keep me safe. Although, in doing so he did hurt me emotionally, he was doing it for a good reason. He was putting me first and I was thankful for that.

After being creepy and staring at him for a while longer, I moved from my space in the doorway and headed back towards the bed. I wasn’t planning on going back to sleep so I just sat up and pulled the covers back over me to keep me warm whilst I waited for Zach to wake up.

I wasn’t sure how long I sat there before Zach woke up. He let out a sleepy groan and rubbed his eyes before pushing himself up into a semi-sitting position.

“Morning.” He smiled, leaning over and placing a kiss on my cheek.

“Morning to you, too.” I giggled, my cheeks going red due to his previous action. It wasn’t anything big yet he still managed o make me blush.

He sat up fully, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me closer to him until we were hugging. “How did you sleep?”

I shrugged, leaning my head against his shoulder. “I’d say fine but then I be lying.”