C H A P T E R E I G H T E E N

THIRD PERSON POV

An hour had passed, and now Mando was feeling dizzy. He could only imagine what his partner was experiencing, with no helmet, no capsule, to protect her. She remained quiet, with her eyes focused straight in front of her, breathing calm breaths. The Mandolorian wanted to help her, for he knew under that tranquil exterior, she must be panicking, anxious for a response on their distress signal. He also debated whether he should send out another—it wouldn't matter since it would take just as long for it to reach a response as they've been waiting now.

Thirty more minutes passed and Mando noticed Reina's hand beginning to shake, her other hand gripping her wrist in attempt to stop it.

"Reina." Mando breathed. "Say something."

"What is there to say?" Reina sucked in, and the fear became exposed in her dark eyes. "Has there been a response?"

"No."

"Then, leave me, Mando." Reina whimpered. Mando fell silent, only to stare at her with astonishment. "I'll be right back." Mando rose to his feet and headed back up to the cockpit to check on any updates. He had earlier rewired some of the circuits so that the ship could start repairing itself through fuel and what left of power the Crest had. The right engine turbine had come back online, but it was useless without the other. The hyperdrive was still disconnected and the oxygen level was dropping lower and lower by the minute. And there was no response to the distress signal.

Mando grunted and slammed his palm into the side of the console in frustration.

In that moment, the Mandalorian meditated, breathing in the deteriorating air around him, hoping someone...anyone, comes to their rescue. At this point, even an enemy ship from the Guild or whatever would be acceptable. They would figure out the details later once they were saved.

Suddenly, a singing voice echoed up into the cockpit. It was Reina, no doubt. Her voice was nurturing, as if hope was swelling up inside Mando. He almost relaxed in his sear as he listened to her harmonious lyrics.

Looking up, at the sky, I see a spaceship passing by...It makes me wonder...

Is it true, like she says, a path we've never tread...Where screams turn into whispers...

Now I'm far, far from my life. I'm above the rock and soil. I'm far, far from my life...where blood no longer boils.

The past inside me starts to die, when I see that spaceship passing by....That flame disfuses into a flicker.

Now I'm far, far from my life. I'm above what I've always known. I'm far, far from my life... The pieces of my future are sewn.

Looking up...at the sky...I see a spaceship... passing by...And I wonder...

Reina's voice faded, and Mando's senses were awaken from their trance, and bolted down to the landing deck, where he found Reina sprawled out on the metal floor.

"Reina!" Mando gasped, and rolled her gently on her back, his gloved hand supporting her head. "No, no. Stay with me. Can you hear me, Reina?"

"I can hear you." Reina hummed, her dark eyes fluttered open. "I must've passed out." She paused to meet the T-lining of his visor. "Did someone respond to the distress signal?"

"Yes. Someone is on their way right now." Mando lied to hopefully put her at ease, but Reina wasn't buying it. "You're a terrible liar, Mando." She scoffed with a smirk, and her eyes began to close.

"You have to stay awake." Mando then lifted her shoulders under his arm, her head nuzzled in the crook of it. "If you fall alseep, you may not wake up."