6. For The Ones We Love

Evan

"George?" I called the name as soon as I entered my house. Unlike usual days, nobody came to take my suitcase from me or to ask about the dinner. This worried me and I stepped inside, looking around to find someone.

Voices coming from Cara's room surprised me and I made my way to her room. Looking inside, I found everyone gathered around her bed and Dr. Sharman sitting beside Cara, observing her.

"What happened?" I asked and moved inside the room to take a look at what was going inside. Cara's face was flushed red and her eyes were half-opened; overall she looked disoriented.

"She had fever and cough, Mr. Parker." Our family doctor told me and worry filled my mind. "Don't worry, I have given her medicine. She will be fine by tomorrow."

She told me but my eyes were fixated on Cara's face. She looked really sick, her hair were sprawled on the cushion and she was holding the blanket around her tightly with her trembling hands.

"Why didn't anybody tell me?" I turned to Geena and asked angrily.

"They did try to call you." I heard Mom's voice as she entered the room with a frown plastered on her face. "But your secretary said you were too busy to answer right now."

"Fuck," I cursed and rubbed my head. I had told Gabe not to forward me any call, no matter what, until I was done with all the meetings.

One by one, everybody left the room except my mother who lay down beside Cara and massaged her head slowly.

"Mommy." A breathless whisper left Cara's mouth and my feet froze. My throat felt constricted all of sudden and tears pricked the back of my eyeballs at her condition.

"She doesn't deserve this, Evan." Mom turned to me with tears in her eyes and I sat down on the couch, hiding my face in between my palms. I knew I failed to become a good father and I knew if Eliza was alive, she would have been so angry with me for letting things so out of control.

"I don't know what to do." I muttered in desperate voice.

"Give the poor girl the love she deserve." Mom answered and my gaze once again landed on my daughter. Everybody thought I was a cruel person for keeping Cara away from myself but nobody understood the reason. Eliza's memories had always persisted as a barrier between Cara and me. And as much as I would like to cross the barrier, I couldn't.

But that doesn't mean someone else can't give Cara the love and care she deserves.

"Fine," I heaved a deep sigh. "Tell that girl that I am ready to marry her for the sake of Cara."

Mom's smile widened at first but then dimmed suddenly. "Do you really think anyone with even one bit of self respect would marry you after almost being called a gold-digger?" she said.

"Then? What do you want me to do?" I asked in an aggravated voice.

"Apologise to her." she said and my frown deepened.

..........

My driver stopped the car in front of the bakery Biscotti. Taking off my sunglasses, I looked through the glass door of the bakery and found nobody inside.

Sighing, I left my car and made my way inside. Hearing the sound of the door, a familiar girl with her signature smile walked out of the kitchen; her hair pulled up in a loose bun and some batter smeared near her lips.

She wiped her mouth with the handkerchief as she made her way to me and when she finally looked at my face, her smile immediately vanished.

"Hi," I said as gently as possible.

"What would you like to have, sir?" she asked, refusing to meet my eyes. She was wearing a baggy green sweatshirt and a purple skinny tights, a weird combination but it somehow suited her.

"I want to make an offer." I came straight to the point because beating around the bush was not my style.

"What?" Her face contorted in confusion.

"You don't have to owe my Mom anything. I will give you enough money to pay back her debt and run this bakery smoothly. In return, I want you to marry me."

The confusion on her face changed into anger and her jaw clenched angrily. "I don't need your money. I have already paid the rent." she gritted.

"But what about next month? I have seen the fancy coffee shop in front of your bakery which means you are already short of customers." I asked and her face flushed more, both in embarrassment and anger.

"I will manage somehow." she said, puffing her cheeks and then proceeded to move back to the kitchen.

"Apologise to her". Mom's words ran through my mind. I wasn't used to apologising to people because most of the time, it was the other way around and I was on the receiving end of the apology.

"Listen Scarlet, I am sorry." I said and she stopped in her tracks. "Cara needs you. She is sick and I don't know what to do."

"What? Cara is sick?" she turned around and asked in worry.

"Yes, she had high fever and cough from yesterday and this morning, she was asking for you." I told her and her dark eyes lowered to the ground. She had long eyelashes that almost reached her cheekbones.

"Oh," she whispered, looking like she was in some deep thoughts. "Um... Can... Can you take me to her?" she asked as she played with the hem of her shirt.

"Sure." I said, feeling slightly relieved.

"Okay." she said and picked up her handbag from the counter. She told someone in the kitchen that she was leaving for some time and she would be back soon.

"Wait," she stopped and then put some freshly baked cookies in a box. "Cara would love this. She loves choco lava cookies." she said and I felt embarrassed that a stranger woman knew more about Cara than me.

I led her to my car where the driver was already waiting for us. We both seated in the backseat and the engine of the car started.

This girl smelled like bakery and that scent filled my car too. I was never one to crave for sweets but her presence caused a desire in me to taste her cookies she just packed for Cara.

Shut up, Evan.

__________________________

Should Scarlet agree to marry Evan?