• Strangers •

Chapter eight: Strangers

We were on my way to my palace, when I  saw someone familiar

We were on my way to my palace, when I  saw someone familiar. Walking towards me, clad in royal clothings, was the very reason of my sudden visit to the officials.

Her kind face soften when she saw me. But mine remained cold and stoned.

I am not pleased to see the woman who took everything away from me. And will never be pleasured to see a glimpse of her.

"My Queen." She bowed. "I heard what happened, and I am terribly sorry."
"I just got the news when I was on the Queen dowager's palace, I rushed here as fast as I could to help prove your innocence. Because I know that you would never do such thing to me."

"If you are worried and apologetic, then be apologetic enough to leave the palace." I muttered. Her eyes met mine and she sighed. "And about what happened..You could never be so sure on how much longer I would allow to keep you alive, Hui Bin."
"I may or may not be behind your poisoning. But I might do it myself next time. You would never know."

"How long must we be like this, Hyun Ae-ah?"

Something sparked inside me upon hearing the almost forgotten name. And my forehead creased.

"Who are you to disrespect your Queen?" I gritted. "Calling me by name like a friend? Rather than paying me formalities."

"But you are my friend—"

"Was." I said, "I was your friend."

Her eyes stared at mine, brown eyes morphing into despair. But I remained cold, distant. I've carelessly trusted people once and that will never happen again.

I wont fall for those sad gazes ever again.

"I know how much hatred you have for me, and I will never get tired on apologizing until you can forgive us." The woman said, her lips slightly quivered.

I smirked. But pain sparked once more in my chest.
I can never forgive.

She've broken me for way too many times that the thing beating inside me became cold, useless. My heart became an ice that couldn't be thaw.

"Think as you like, Consort. Now move. Out of my way." I sneered.

It took her some moment before letting me through. Knowing better than to keep me stalled. She finally gave way, head bowed as I pass through. Her court ladies following her action.

I passed by them and did not look back. Eyes straight and emotionless, lips pursed into a thin line, and chin up in confidence. Never in this life would she get a glimpse of my downfall.

My hate for her exceed even the highest of mountains. And it will never be ceased, for the fire is already ablaze.

             "What's been bothering you, Your Majesty?" Court Lady Suk asked, as she poured me some tea. "You look troubled." She added, putting the teapot down to properly look at me.

I sighed and take the cup, sipping from its rim. "It was nothing." I said. "Just some unimportant thoughts lingering through my head."

The woman did not push for more, and respect my silence. She bid her goodnights and left me for myself.

But sleep seems to not be in my favor that night.

I ended up going to my palace's garden, a long coat shielding me from the coldness of the night's air. I gaze at the moon, its light basking my pale skin.

I've always loved the moon. It gives me comfort. Perhaps, hope. For after all, I symbolize it. I am the moon of this country, and the King was the sun. Co-existing—but never meeting. When he rise, I fall. When I rose, he fell. Our hearts never meet.
An unending cycle of one sided affection.

I closed my eyes, head still facing the moon. Reminiscing of the good old days, reminiscing of my lost friend.

"I wonder how things would be if you're here, Jeonghyun-ah." I whispered. My voice being carried by the harsh wind, hoping it would reach him.

At the young age of eleven, Hyun Ae finally learns the reason behind all of her lessons that took place in the palace. The learning of how to be a 'proper lady'.
The reason why she's always in the palace. And the reason why the crown prince would sometime visit her on the garden.

She was the only daughter of her family. Born and raised in a comfortable living. A family known for their wealth and loyalty to the palace. A family that has a business of their own, and family of politician as her father being the minister of the King, as most men on her family being part of the King's court. She also has servants tending to her every bidding.

She's a perfect fit for the competition.

The competition that would choose the next Queen.

"So that means I am going to marry you, Jeonghyun-ssi?" Young Hyun Ae asked that one afternoon when the crown Prince visited her again, curiousity was laced in her tone and visible in her face. The 14 year old Prince smiled and laugh.
The two sat quietly on the huge rocks near the pond, and the Prince's people situated far from them to respect the two's personal space.

The crown Prince told Hyun Ae to drop all formalities when it is only the two of them, as according to him, those 'names' relating him to the crown made him feel anxious.

"That will only happen if you'll be able to pass the competition." The boy said, smiling. Fondness seen in his eyes. "I heard there are a lot of girls joining, most from different regions." The boy wanted to sound cocky, but his gentle voice betrayed him and made him sound like an excited pup.

The young Hyun Ae pursed her lips. "But you said you like me most." A crease emerged in her forehead, showing her distaste on the thought that the young Prince might marry someone else. "And you also told me that you dont want to marry someone you dont know." The young girl added.

The crown Prince nod, "All of those were true." He said, "I really dont want to marry a stranger, that's why you have to pass the competition so we will both be spared. You, from marrying some unknown son of a wealthy family, and me, from some unknown wealthy girl."
"Dont worry, I will help you pass the competition to ensure our future!"

Hyung Ae smiled. Her pearly white teeth showing. "Promise?" She asked, showing her pinky to the Prince, urging him to take a 'sacred vow'.

The boy smiled, his dimples showing in both sides of his cheeks, as his caramel colored eyes crinkle in joy. "I promise." He said, sealing the pinky promise with a gentle kiss on Hyun Ae's right cheek.

And that day, they made a pact.
A pact that neither of them will be married off to some unknown strangers. That both of them will find their way back to each others.

They will marry..one way or another.

After all, they are friends. They know each others better than anyone else.
Because for Hyun Ae, it's better to give her life and loyalty to a friend, than to a stranger.