Chapter Nine

We finished breakfast and Mom decided to go out shopping on her own. A part of me wanted to go with her, but I figured we'd have time to go shopping in London. I needed more clothes since I hadn't brought much with me.

My heart felt heavy as I got ready to see Scott. I felt that no matter what, one of my parents felt like a disappointment at one time or another. I, for sure, didn't believe in the whole true love thing. It felt like a myth right now.

Scott texted me that he was outside, and I felt relieved. I really needed the distraction, and truth be told, he was a nice one. I walked outside, locked the door, and placed the keys in the backpack I'd prepared with water bottles.

Scott's bright smile instantly made me feel at ease. He was wearing black sport pants, blue t-shirt, and a black cap on his head.

"Why didn't you ring the bell?" I said with a smirk. "Scared of my groupie Mom?"

Scott chuckled. "She was alright. Trust me. I have experience with groupies."

"You have such a hard life, Scott," I said, shaking my head as I came closer to him.

"I sense some sarcasm, Em." He retorted.

I shrugged. "I don't know what you're talking about. I'm a bundle of joy right now."

Scott tilted his head. "How are you?"

My smile faded and a sigh left my lips. "A walk is just what I need right now."

He nodded. "Well, are you ready for the adventure of your life?"

I pulled my brows together. "Where are you taking me? I'm getting worried."

Scott laughed. "Ha! Nowhere touristy. We're avoiding the crowds."

"That's even better," I said, glancing at the sunbaked road.

"Come on, we're going this way." He gestured toward the hill, where our hiking trail seemed to disappear across the overgrown grass. "I brought a few refreshments for later if we get tired." He patted the backpack he carried.

We started walking in comfortable silence. The wind rustled the wild grass and I took a deep breath, enjoying the scent of the crisp country air.

"So, what are you doing here at Castle Combe? It's a pretty quiet town."

"Quiet is exactly what I needed." He grabbed a pebble and threw it ahead of the road. "Life is too hectic back in London."

"I can imagine," I said. I totally didn't. I made a face. "Actually, I don't have any idea how busy your life can be, to be honest."

Scott's eyes crinkled as his lips curved. "I think you're the only person that doesn't know a lot about me." He gazed at me with a lopsided grin that made my heart flutter. "I kind of dig it."

"I knew your mom, though. My own mother admired her endlessly, and she often talked about her. She was truly someone to look up to." I meant it. His mother rocked. She was a true advocate for LGBT issues in a time where being lesbian, gay or just different, wasn't accepted as now.

Scott stayed quiet, and my stomach tightened. Did I say something wrong?

He turned to me and his eyes were filled with sorrow. "My mom was amazing. I just wish she knew."

I reached out for his hand. "I'm sorry I brought her up. It's obvious you miss her."

Scott gazed at our hands before meeting my eyes. "It's all good. There's not one day I don't think about her."

I swallowed hard and didn't let go of him. "You know, when my grandmother passed away, my mom told me that missing our loved ones is the best tribute we can give them, because that means we cared for them."