55: Ours

My eyes were slow to open but when they did, I found myself staring up at a popcorn ceiling with machines beeping all around me. That combined with the dull white walls and harsh scent of chemicals told me where I was. A hospital.

I groaned and sat up, my back was stiff but I was relieved to not feel any pain. I glanced down at my hands and arms; my skin was undamaged and smooth. Nothing to indicate I'd just gone swimming in a pool of fire.

"Suzume?"

I turned my head towards the sound and saw Thor. He was siting in a chair nearby, his clothes rumpled and his eyes red. However, his smile was genuine and lit up his face.

"I told you I'd come back." I swung my legs out of bed, relieved to see that they were strong and sure. I moved towards him but before I'd gotten more than two steps he was on his feet and shaking his head.

"It won't work."

"What?"

He stepped towards me, close enough to reach out and touch me but he didn't Rather, Thor pointed down at the ground and my eyes followed and what I saw made me understand. Iridescent blue lines were drawn along the floor, boxing me in. Magic. I was sure of it. What it was for I didn't know but I realized it was the reason he couldn't come any closer.

"What's this for?" I asked, looking at the rest of the room, from the tiny hospital bed to the narrow bathroom. Sure enough, more blue lines were drawn across the floor.

"It's a barrier," he answered. "And a stabilizing agent."

"Stabilizing agent? What are they stabilizing?" Was it my mind they had to try and repair? I remembered my father and Yuki and had to wonder now if it had just been an agony-induced hallucination rather than a real meeting.

"Your magic needs time to settle in. This used to take a few weeks but this barrier speeds up the process." Thor leaned against the invisible wall as he spoke, his hand spread around along the surface.

"Magic," I repeated, stepping up the edge of the line and aligning my palm with his. Sure enough, rather than him, I fell a cool layer between us. "So now I'll be strong enough to beat Sif in the sparring ring?"

"You'll dominate now if you want to."

I laughed. "I doubt it. She's got centuries of experience on me."

"True but Sif can't command fire. "

"What?" My laughter trailed nervously but Thor wasn't laughing. In fact, he was looking at me with distinct pride.

"According to the Valkyries you basically expelled a solar flare from your body when the transformation was made permanent. I'd say that's a distinct advantage in combat."

"Are they okay?" I asked immediately, my mind unable to process the fact that I could apparently wield the power of the sun. Injuries seemed much more manageable.

"No lasting harm done. They were able to put up their shields in time to protect themselves from it." My mind flashed to my first meeting with Sif. When her transparent magic was the only thing that stood between the three of us and a murderous giant.

"Glad to hear they're okay." I swallowed a sigh. "How long will I have to be in here?" How long will it be until I can hold you again? Though I knew by the clock on the wall that it had only been a few hours since Thor had proposed to me, it felt like a lifetime. After everything, I really just wanted someone to I loved to hold me.

Thor opened his mouth to answer but the bustle of footsteps and voices cut him off. I peered over towards the door where to my great surprise, Queen Freya and King Odin came through both looking weary but elated.