Chapter 21

Calvin's POV

We've fallen into a routine. It's become redundant, life having no extra spark to keep it interesting. The only spark in my life is Miles and he is at school the majority of the week. Jason gets to see my mate more than I do.

That's why we are having a date this weekend. I asked him out, feeling nervous at the fact this would be our second date ever.

Of course, he said yes. I don't know why I was so worried.

I'm currently setting up the picnic at this large clearing that has a small stream running through it, surrounded by trees and wildlife.

I cooked plenty of food. Now that Miles is a werewolf, his metabolism has increased so he needs to ingest more food.

I make the peaceful walk back to the pack house, just enjoying nature. Arriving, I see Miles waiting outside in the backyard, playing soccer with some kids. You can tell he's waiting on me because every few moments, his eyes glance over to the tree line looking for me.

I step out, and his eyes quickly meet mine. He completely ditches the game he is playing and runs over to me. He jumps into my arms, me having no trouble catching him. I kiss him on the cheek and set him down, noticing the whole pack staring at us.

Miles soon turns bashful, embarrassed at the public display of affection. I nod my head at the members of my pack before grabbing my mates hand and leading him into the forest.

We walk in a comfortable silence, just enjoying all the sounds that nature has to offer. With Miles' enhanced hearing, you can tell how much he appreciates nature. His look of awe never leaves his face as he looks around and listens.

Soon, we arrive at the clearing, Miles' eyes widening when he takes in the scene before him. He looks to me and I can see the gratitude clear in his eyes.

He jumps on me again, wrapping his legs around my waist and sticking his face into the crook of my neck. A new favorite thing of his is smelling me. With his enhanced sense of smell, he can finally smell my scent.

He keeps whispering, "Thank you," over and over again. I chuckle as he pulls back, saying, "You're welcome," with a sincere tone.

He jumps down, practically bouncing as he looks at the food in front of him. I lead him over to the blanket I had spread out, and he sits down before dragging me down with him.

He climbs into my lap, grabbing a plate of food and immediately starts eating. "What? I'm hungry!" He says after noticing my amused look.

We eat and chat about ourselves, learning more and more new things with every word. I learned that Miles hates peanut butter, and his favorite color is the brown of my eyes.

Our chat is soon interrupted by a snapping of a twig. Miles and I both heard it, and our head swivels in the direction of the sound.

Out walks a giant wolf, about the size of me. He is a dusty brown, his fur matted and his eyes red.

The wolf shifts when it walks into the clearing, and I see something that surprises both Miles and I.

It's Miles' father.