finn | a new home

this imagine has been rewritten! if you're thinking the title is familiar, it is but the story has been changed :-)

///

The war was over, and everyone was rejoicing. You were jumping from person to person, throwing your arms around them, laughing and cheering, crying tears of absolute joy and some of grief as you prepared to mourn the loss of those who didn't quite make it, but who fought for this --- this moment of victory --- here. 

While you hugged everybody that you could reach, even those you didn't know well, you searched for your four best friends: Rey, Poe, Chewbacca, and most important to you, Finn. 

Finn was everything to you. Everything. Out of the family the two of you had created of lost souls searching for a place in the galaxy, you had found one another and sparked something that went beyond a friendship. General Organa, in all of her wisdom and years, once told you that what you had with Finn was something some people could only dream of --- and something that she had with Han Solo long, long ago. 

Your friends were the only family that you had now. They meant the entire galaxy to you. They were all that you had and all that you wanted. Two years ago, you were rescued by the Resistance when the First Order raided your entire kingdom. They killed everybody, including your parents, the king and the queen. But somehow, you were spared. Then you were rescued. You felt undeserving at first As a princess with no kingdom, no family, and no hope, you were useless and weak.

But then you found Finn, who somehow understood you on that level. On that level of being alone without a place to call home or a person to call family. He was an ex-stormtrooper, running from his past and searching for something more. Something good. It didn't take him long to realize that the something good that he was searching for was you. It took you an even shorter time to realize that the home you were trying so desperately to create again was in his arms. 

And now you only wanted to find Rey, Poe, and Finn, to know that they were safe and to wrap your arms around the three of them and hold them close to you.

You were covered in sweat, blood, grease, ash, and burns, and you were limping slightly from your fight on the ground. You had separated from Jannah and Finn without meaning to. You'd hardly escaped; your X-WING was moments away from blowing up when you got back to it and fled, nearly a second too late.

As you pushed through the crowd, hands fell on your arms, congratulating you. You thanked everyone and congratulated them back, shaking hands and squeezed arms and embracing quickly. Connix hugged you so tightly you stopped breathing, telling you that Rose was safe and Chewie was safe and everything was okay. 

But out of your little group of friends, it was Poe who saw you first. He called your name behind you and as you turned, you felt his hands on your sides. You tore yourself away from Connix and wrapped him up in a huge hug. He lifted you off the ground and spun you around before placing you back on the grass. There were tears in his eyes. 

"Oh, it's so good to see you, Princess!"

"I never thought I'd ever be this happy to see your face, Dameron," you joked. 

"Hey." He placed you down and playfully punched your arm. 

You laughed and glanced behind him. Nervousness gnawed at you. Too much time had passed and you still hadn't seen him. "Where's Finn?"

"You haven't found him yet?" 

"No." Your smile disappeared. "Is he alright? Did he make it back?"

Poe's hands fell on your shoulders and he smiled reassuringly. "___, he's fine. He's around here, safe and sound. I've already seen him. He went looking for you and for Rey. I don't think Rey's back here just yet."