Chapter 37

Leo POV

The Westbrooks? Who would've thought?

"It's a pleasure your highness," The father Westbrook said. I can't remember his name but his appearance is something I couldn't forget. Even with his big belly and long blonde beard that is so common nowadays.

He sat at the other end of the table in front of the King while sitting beside him was his wife.

Charles looked at me and looked down, I looked at him confused, I was so used to him giving me a cocky attitude. He looks a lot different now. It's like his confidence went downhill. He has bags under his eyes, his hair looked almost unkempt, and he looked like lost a lot of weight. What the hell happened to him.

I was still looking at him when a girl sat beside me who has shoulder-length blonde hair.

She smirked at me and her red lips caught my attention and that's when I remembered her. She's Charles' sister.

I smiled slightly out of courtesy then I faced the King waiting for an explanation.

"I guess we should start by addressing our situation," the king said and turned his attention to my father.

My father nodded and cleared his throat. He glanced at me and faced the Westbrooks.

"Sir Westbrook. You offered a proposal to help my daughter, can you please elaborate" my father said.

Sir Westbrook nodded and started to speak "I heard about your Longford situation and I want to help," he said and looked at me "I want you to marry my daughter"

My eyes widened, this is the first time I heard about this. At the same time I heard Princess Alia choke on the water she was drinking and the King reached over to her and gave her a napkin.

"Sorry" Alia mumbled cutely after she stopped choking.

I glanced at my father and he nodded slightly to signal me to talk.

I cleared my throat "What do you want in return Sir? Not to be rude but I don't think you'll help me without gaining anything" I said respectfully.

He chuckled deeply "You're right, we would need to gain something and you marrying my daughter is already a gain" I looked at him confused so he continued "Have you left this castle at all? You are a very well respected person in this kingdom now and you will bring respect to our name when you marry Carina" he smiled.

I nodded and looked down. Now I understand everything clearly. I feel like it's a win-win situation. I won't be imprisoned because they control the fields where the Longford gets their resources. Nepotism at its finest, and they will get the respect they desperately want but why does it feel so wrong.

I glanced at Alia and saw her glaring at the table with her jaw clenched.

I sighed. Maybe because she's the only one that feels right.

Alia looked up slightly and caught my eye and she only bit her lip with sad eyes, and somehow that made me feel more wrong.

The King stood up and faced the Westbrooks "Thank you Westbrook family for helping. We'll send a letter to your home for the final arrangements" the King smiled and gave them a scroll to sign.