Chapter 34: An Attempt

As Narahashi escorted (Y/n) toward the lunch tables where the boys usually sat, she began to feel her cheeks warm up. Before, he said that he would protect her, but she didn't know exactly what that meant. At first, she thought it a confession of sorts, but the more she thought about it, the signals were mixed.

"Well, this is your stop, huh?" the boy said, clearing his throat nervously, "I'll see you later. Maybe we can sit together during health?"

"I would like that," she responded, fiddling with the hem of her skirt.

She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, making the male place his hand on her cheek. He gave her a soft look and gently caressed her with his thumb before blushing and taking his hand back to rub the back of his neck.

"Sorry, I just, you look really cute when you do that," he stuttered, "Well, I...goodbye, (Y/n). I'll see you later."

With that the boy walked away, mumbling to himself about being so bashful around her. He looked back once and once he noticed the girl was still watching him, his blush turned red and he began to jog away. It was incredibly mortifying for him. Not that the girl thought he was at all unattractive when he did that.

However, she turned back to see a girl standing eagerly in front of her, clutching at her books that were hugging against her chest. She was unusually happy for someone so shy as to normally stay in the background, but it made (Y/n) smile. The dirty blonde haired girl went up and down on her tippy-toes as she said her greetings.

"Do you mind if I spend lunch with you?" she asked, enthusiastically.

"Yes, of course, here, sit next to me," (Y/n) responded as she sat down beside an open seat and Haru.

Yamato and Akari joined the table soon after she took her seat and began to look with great confusion at the new addition to the table. He shrugged it off, uncaring and sat next to Haru, giving his hair a ruffle. The gamer tried to fix his hair, hoping the female didn't see him with unkempt hair. That it just might turn her away from him was his reasoning for being anxious about it.

"Hey, guys, this is Yui Kenko. She's one of my friends and the secretary for the student council. I was hoping that she could sit with us?" the (h/c) female asked.

"Yes, of course," Shota smiled gently, intending to make the other female feel appreciated, "She would be a most welcoming companion to this mostly male group, wouldn't she?"

The others shrugged, uncaring as long as (Y/n) was happy, but Takuya inched away from the girl who took a seat next to himself. He felt largely uncomfortable with her presence and didn't trust her enough to speak in her presence. Of course, since she was (Y/n)'s friend, he would try to play nice in hopes to please the girl and gain some affection.

Yui put a lock of her brownish yellow hair behind her ear as she shyly looked to the white-haired male, focusing her attention on him. She only stopped when Shota cleared his throat, instructing her silently to do her job. She nodded and turned to (Y/n) with a sweetening smile.

"Are any of these guys your boyfriend?" she asked.

"What? Oh, no. I'm not dating. You know that," the (h/c) girl blushed, "And if it was...you know who it would be, don't you?"

"But you have all these attractive guys that are clearly interested in you," Yui chuckled, before looking up in contemplation, "but I guess they have their flaws, too, huh? That's kind of a shame."

Yamato raised his eyebrow in suspicion and crossed his arms over his chest as he peered at the new girl. Rei did the same, catching onto the brunette's thought. He rested his chin in the palm of his hand as he looked around, wondering what they had done to get such an annoying female. From his personal experiences, he knew that the girl was acting and it was entirely too fake for his liking.