chapter 11

Friday evening, March 13th, 2020

Despite being early to help Sydney prepare for her party, people have already started to arrive.

Once Harry and I make it inside, I notice that nearly everything has already been set up. The DJ is in the corner, preparing his setup. The grazing table and pizza table are sitting right next to each other in the open-planned kitchen and living room area. There is a silver disco ball hanging from the ceiling and all the lights have been dimmed.

"Seems like we missed set up," Harry has to yell close to my ear, due to the loud music the DJ was already playing.

A slight shiver runs through me and I inconspicuously take a step away from Harry.

I spot Asher first, covering all the couches with plastic sheets to protect them. "The cavalry has arrived!" he booms once he spots us.

I walk over towards Kennedy as Harry starts to engage in conversation with Asher.

"Oh, thank god you're here!" she says, her voice shrill.

"What's wrong?" I frown. "Everything seems to be under control."

"Sydney doesn't think so."

Both our heads swivel over to Sydney who is furiously opening a packet of chips, her eyebrows pulled into a deep frown.

"What's wrong?"

"Well, it started when everyone started arriving an hour early. Then, Asher spilt beer on her mother's favourite rug and chipped her favourite vase."

"Oh," I nod.

"Yeah," Kennedy cringes, her face pulled into a grave expression.

"I always tell myself not to host any more parties. And what do I do? I host another party," Sydney mumbles to herself.

"Can I help you with anything?" I ask tentatively.

"Um, could you both help Cooper out the back? He should be covering the swimming pool and putting out some more chairs. I am not going to be responsible for another near-drowning this year."

"Near-drowning?" I question, eyes raised.

"Long story," Sydney mumbles, shaking her head.

Kennedy and I head out to Sydney's backyard where I spot Cooper rolling on the tarp to cover the pool.

"Hey, babe. Need any help?"

"I think I'm good here, Ken. Hey, Lonnie."

"Hey, Cooper."

Despite Cooper reassuring us that he didn't need any help, we both starting folding out the chairs and placing them at different places around the yard.