Chapter 13

The nurse's eyes reminded me faintly of my mother's. Obsidian and warm. They regarded me with caution as I showed her my wounds, narrowed when they saw my old bruises.

"Some of them will need stitches." The nurse, Emily, managed to say after dragging her eyes from the darkened bruises and looking towards the still bleeding wounds. I nodded stiffly, sitting further up on the bed until my back rested against the headboard as the nurse prepared her necessary equipment.

With tired eyes I watched as she skillfully cleaned up the blood, but sharply redirected my gaze towards a closed window when she began stitching. Silence fell over the room for several seconds, before the nurse began to hum softly, a melodic tune which made me even more tired than I already was.

When the nurse paused, I shifted into a more comfortable position, telling the woman that I may not help but fall asleep, which she quickly disapproved of. So I sat quietly, tight lipped as she continued on with her work. Soon afterwards, I faintly heard the front door opening, and my eyes immediately flung away from the window once more, narrowed towards the approaching figure.

"Olivia." Ryker, Helda's uncle, called my name and knocked, even though his head was already protruding through the small space from the half open door. Pity washed over his face as he took in my body and I resisted feeling ashamed of my scars. Emily slowed her hands, and she looked towards me and then back at the older man.

"Do you know him?" She asked, her expression taking on one of concern and wariness. I nodded half-heartedly, watched as Ryker cleared his throat, averting his eyes from me. My upper body was barely covered, but I didn't care that he could see my nakedness. In prison, there were many times in which I would have little choice but to strip my clothes off in front of guards, so I have somewhat become immune to people watching my body.

"I'll wait around until you're finished here." Ryker muttered, shuffling away from the doorway, his footsteps signaling that he was moving to the living room.

Emily held my gaze for a long moment, as if searching for permission to continue, which I granted with a small nod. Silence descended once more, and I was extremely tired when she finished off her stitching.

"Some of the other wounds will need to be kept bandaged and you'll require some rest. Don't go tiring yourself out." She patted my shoulder and then turned her attention away as she began putting away her tools.

"Thank you." I tersely said, standing carefully and walking to a closet filled with neatly folded clothes. I cautiously slipped on a long sleeved white shirt, followed Emily to the door and waited until I saw her disappear into another house before I gave my attention to Ryker.

I found him standing in the middle of the living room, a look of utter bafflement on his face as he stared ahead.

"You have a sink in your living room." Ryker said, shaking his head. I moved around him, eyeing the grey sink tucked in a corner, beside the fireplace and nodded in confirmation.

"Indeed I do."

Ryker shook his head again, a low chuckle coming from his mouth. "What kind of…" His voice trailed off and he shrugged his shoulders, facing me whilst I decided to make myself comfortable on the couch. My hand lifted to drift back and forth across a cushion, and a heavy sigh feel past my lips, eyes stinging with the need for sleep.

"What happened back in the pack?" Ryker asked softly, any signs of rising laughter drifting away from his voice. I moistened my lips, hesitating briefly but eventually spoke, knowing that the sooner I had the conversation over with, the sooner I'd be to being able to slumber.