twelve

12|CALM WITHIN THE STORM

The Razor Crest shook violently as the Mandalorian flew them around the gun fire. Another bounty hunter had tracked the Child and was firing dangerously at them, not caring if they take the child in dead or alive.

"At least one of us is having fun." Asra giggled to herself as she gripped the chair harder, the child strapped to her lap and laughing playfully as the avoided another shot.

"Hold on tight." Mando mumbled as the ship twisted harshly around an asteroid.

"I can bring you in warm or I can bring you in cold." The bounty hunter chasing them spoke viciously over the intercom.

"That's my line." The Mandalorian said back roughly, suddenly forcing the ship to stop to allow the bounty hunter to fly ahead. Asra fell forwards at the strong force and hit the back of his chair before bouncing back on to hers. Once the ship was in sight, Mando shot it down.

"You okay?" He asked her once the fight was over.

"Just a few bruises from the unexpected stop." Asra shrugged, standing up and placing the child on her chair. She placed a hand on his shoulder and watched as he quickly pressed buttons. "What about you?"

"We are losing fuel." He avoided her question and continued to fly the Razor Crest towards the planet. "Go sit down, this landing isn't going to be smooth."

"This is Mos Eisley Tower. We are tracking you. Head for bay three-five over." A monotone voice spoke through the speaker. Asra sighed loudly and sat down, knowing she was going to gain more bruises with this landing.

"Copy that." Mando replied, preparing the ship for landing. "Locked in for three-five."

Once they had roughly landed, Asra picked the sleeping child up into her arms and carried him down to the room.

"You should stay here, get some rest." He announced from behind her, causing her back to still in fright.

"I can't leave you alone." Asra grumbled quietly, tucking the child in the bed and turning around to face the man.

"It's not safe." He argued, grabbing her biceps and pushing her back until her legs hit the edge of the bed. Mando pushed her slightly until she fell back so she was sat on the bed. "Stay and rest, I won't be long."

She nodded her head and grabbed his hand, squeezing it before letting go. He left her and the child on the ship as he went to go arrange the Razor Crest to be fixed. Asra snuggled up to the blanket and cuddled the child close, her eyes fluttering shut as the sound of distant chatter sent her to sleep.

~•~

Asra Blen awoke suddenly by rough hands shaking her shoulders aggressively. She jumped up and drew her blaster, aiming it at the strangers head.

"Goodness, Dyn, don't scare me like that." She sighed, dropping her blaster on the bed as she held her chest, trying to calm her racing heart.

"Where is the child?" He rushed out, searching around the bed for the child.

"It was right here." The healer dragged her words as she stared at the empty space beside her with confusion.

"Come on." Mando grabbed her hand and helped her out of the bed, dragging her off the ship so they could find the child. "Hey! Where is he?"

"I'm awake!" A woman jumped awake, walking towards them with the crying child in her arms. "You woke it up! Do you have any idea how long it took me to get it to sleep?"

"My baby." Asra sighed with relief, running forwards and carefully taking the cooing child out of the woman's arms. "Don't run away like that, you scared me half to death."

"You can't just leave a child all alone like that." The woman lectured the pair harshly, stroking the childs head. "You know, you have an awful lot to learn about raisin' a young one. Anyway, I started the repair on the fuel leak. There you go. I had a couple setbacks I want to talk to you about. You know, I didn't use any droids, as requested, so it took me a lot longer than I expected. But I figured you were good for the money since you have an extra mouth to feed."

"Thank you." Asra smiled kindly at the woman. "I was sleeping on the ship with the child, it must have escaped to go find this tin man."

"I'm Peli." Peli stuck her hand out for the healer to shake.

"Asra." The two women shook hands, exchanging polite smiles before turning to face the silent Mandalorian.

"Oh, I guess I was right." Peli exclaimed. "You got a job, didn't you? You know, it's costing me a lot of money to keep these droids even powered up."

Mando wandered outside the bay, the two women following curiously behind. A young man stood leaning against one of the two speeders.

"Hey, Mando, what do you think? Not too shabby, huh?" He smirks, patting his bike. Mando touched his bike and it began to make cracking noises like it was about to break. "What'd you expect? This ain't Corellia."

"Mando. Be safe." She grabbed his hand and sent a small pulse of the force through his body, assessing to see if he had any injuries. Once she knew he was healthy she let go of his hand and stepped back, looking down as a shy smile overtook her features.

"I'll be back soon." He placed his gloved hand on her cheek, stroking the pale skin before moving away. The two women watched them leave, a grimace on both their lips as they turned to go back inside.