1- The Beginning Of It All

RUN AWAY

RUN AWAY. It was a powerful instinct. Especially for a girl like Veronica. Run away from her past, run away from her ever impending future. It was an urge within her, one she deeply wanted to satisfy, yet couldn't.

She sat on the edge of the ambulance, dried blood stuck to her face and her body, and a soft blanket wrapped around her. The girl trembled, eyes wide with panic and shock. All around her lights blared and police sirens filled the nighttime sky, but it simply fell on deaf ears. She stared out upon the tipped over car, the broken glass & debris surrounding it for miles. Her heart ached. She wanted so desperately to sob, and yet, the tears refused to fall.

It had all happened in a flash, the lights coming towards them head-on, then the screams and then the darkness. She shouldn't have survived, yet amidst it all, she had. She yearned for it not to be true. Her heart was shattered into a million pieces, and she knew deep down she would never be able to repair it, or piece it all back together again. No. This night would forever be stuck inside her mind. The night she lost it all. The night where the true Veronica Parker disappeared and something else entirely took over.

It was the night that everything changed.

"Parker, you alive?" The voice of the girl's partner broke her out of her trance. His blue eyes which now wore a look of concern stunned her into the reality she was looking upon, a mangled body, one that looked all too familiar. She blinked, before giving him a tight-lipped smile and nodding.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine." That was a lie, obviously. She was, in fact, the exact opposite. This case had hit far too close to home, and the woman didn't like it one bit. Around the pair police cars and ambulances surrounded the area, gurneys and body bags laid out upon the ground. Cautiously, she stepped over one, wondering just how somebody could murder so cold-heartedly. Even if she had spent most of her life around it, it was still beyond comprehension. At least they had caught the guy before more damage could be done, and it was all over now.

"Smith, I often wonder why we're in this profession again," Veronica spoke aloud, Smith (or better known as Fox around the bureau due to his excellent sleuthing skills) letting out a chuckle.

"To serve justice. Who else would do it, the Batman?" He attempted to joke, Veronica just shaking her head sadly.

"Well, he is a hero." She chided, although it came out as more of a monotone comment. Veronica's relationship with Batman was a rocky one, and she didn't often like to talk about him. It brought up only unpleasant memories. One's she really wished she could forget.

"You got me there," Smith laughed, as he opened his car door. The girl's partner had always loved her sense of sarcasm and wit, it was one of the things he always enjoyed when he was around her. Although, there was also some sort of looming darkness that surrounded her, one he could never quite put his finger on or understand. He usually just dismissed it as a side effect of their job. "See you back at the bureau, Ronnie."

Veronica rolled her eyes at the man's nickname for her, as he winked through his window and sped off. She watched as the car drove into the distance, before turning back to the scene that laid out in front of her. Much help the Batman was here.

She strolled back to her own car, hopping in but not leaving. Looking out upon the scene, snippets of before ran through her head. She placed her hands on the wheel, gripping it so tight that her hands turned white.
What she'd give to forget.

"Get it together," She muttered to herself, shifting her car into drive and speeding away from the scene, leaving the memories of her past far behind her.

— x —

"Your coffee, madame!" Fox sauntered into Ronnie's office, holding two steaming cups of caffeine. Veronica looked up from her computer, a grin emerging on her face. Times like this she liked to believe she was normal. Just a normal FBI agent, doing normal FBI things.

But the reality was that she wasn't. She was not, in any way, normal. It was funny to her sometimes, because most people usually wanted to exceed or be different from the norm. She was the exact opposite. A lot of people never realized how lucky they were simply getting to say hello to their friends everyday.

She'd learned to never take trivial things like that for granted.

She knew that she would never get to be 'normal' again, though. It was a thought she was forced to live with.

"Thanks, Fox," She said appreciatively, taking the cup from his outstretched hand.

"No problem. So, how you feeling?" The man said, sitting down on a chair in front of the girl's desk, giving her an inquisitive stare.

Veronica looked at him, confusion contorting her features. "What do you mean?"

"I'm no idiot, Ronnie. That case was extremely similar to your family's. I'd be a shit partner if I didn't ask how you were after it," Fox addressed the girl, quirking a brow as he took a sip of his coffee.

"I'm fine." Was all Veronica said, looking down at her coffee as she swished it around in the cup.

"You make being nice really hard, you know that?" He sighed, Veronica rolling her eyes. She did know. But Fox didn't know a lot about her past and she wasn't inclined to burden him with her problems. He had his own. A lot of his own, actually. It was the last thing he needed to worry about.

"Well, since you aren't going to talk to me, I'll leave you be," Fox said, standing up and saluting the girl. Veronica nodded, holding up the coffee.

"Thanks again," She smiled.

Fox nodded, "Just doing my job," He smiled back softly, before exiting the room.

Veronica looked back at her desk, eyes shifting over miscellaneous papers when they rested upon a picture. There stood her family, all together with matching smiles upon their faces. A young Veronica sat upon her father's shoulders, mid-laugh. Her mother and brother were beside them, watching the scene with elated expressions.

That was before everything. And how Veronica wished she could go back.

AUTHORS NOTE!

alright, so in case it wasn't clear veronica has PTSD.  a lot of traumatic events happened within her life, which will be unravelled as the story goes along. but just to put it out there, to all you who have PTSD, if i write something wrong please do not hesitate to pm me and correct me on it! i, myself, do not have PTSD but i am trying to stay as true to it as possible via reading other's stories and through research upon this topic.

this chapter is just to introduce veronica & a few past events plus her life right now. i will be jumping between two timelines here, back when she met selina and dick and such, and present day (2008 and 2018), so just a heads up! also, for those of you who have ever watched the x-files, you might have gotten my reference there with fox's name ;) his real name is kai smith, but, i thought it'd be cool to give him a nickname and why not make it an x-files reference while at it?

anyways, thank you all for reading, i hope you like it!