25.

Montana

"Montana!" I heard Joey's voice, making me furrow my eyebrows.

"Montana!" I heard the distant voice again, making me squint my eyes.

Saying nothing, Joey appeared sitting on a rock, wearing all white with a huge smile on his face.

"Joey!" I screamed, running over to him.

Crashing into him, I hugged him tightly. I held onto him for a long while as he laughed uncontrollably.

"Montana." He smiled, making me let him go and lifting my chin to look into my eyes.

"Baby, I'm so sorry for you leaving you."

"No. Josiah. Don't say that. Come back." I pleaded

"Please, just come back to me." I begged him.

A smile formed onto his face as I did and I couldn't help but to wonder why. Why was he so happy to be away from me?

"I can't come back, ma. I'm here." I watched as he spread his arms out, making me look around.

I had no idea where we were but it was beautiful.

"But I want you with me." I expressed and he smiled.

"I am with you, Montana. In here." He pointed at my heart.

"But I need you with me physically. I want to make you my boyfriend, I want you to see our baby."

"There's so many things I didn't get to do." I broke down, reminiscing. I now wished I hadn't wasted so much time with the arguments and bullshit.

"Baby, I'll always be with y'all. I told you I'll protect you forever and now I'll protect you and them." He looked into my eyes.

Them? I thought, confused with his terminology.

"..but now I have to go, Aight? I love you and don't ever forget me. Love my kids and protect them from all harm, baby. You're the love of my life and I thank you for making my time on earth unforgettable. I'll cherish it for all eternity."

"No, Joey. Please don't go!" I screamed as he began to walk backwards, away from me.

"No. I'm staying!"

"I'm staying with you!" I screamed, trying to run after him.

"Wake up." He spoke sternly, looking into my eyes, obviously not wanting me to stay.

"I want to stay with you, please." I begged, getting onto my knees.

"Please." I cried as he looked down at me with a sigh.

He simply kissed my forehead and ran his hand down my cheek.

"I love you, Montana."

-

Abruptly waking from my slumber, I breathed heavily, sweating hard. I noticed that I was still in Joey's bed and my heart broke all over again.

Remembering everything that'd just happened in my dreams, I began to cry hard. So hard that I began to hyperventilate.

"Montana?" I heard Ms. Carol's voice as she quickly came into the room.

"Breath, mami. Breath." She instructed as I began to slow my breathing down, back to a regular pace.

"I saw him." I cried hard, pulling my knees to my chest.

"He was there." Tears flooded my face and I felt helpless.