30 - Moving On

"Doc, get away from my stuff."

"What d'you mean? I'm not even close to all your little gadgets."

Cub stuttered over his words, offended. "These aren't 'little gadgets'. They're high-tech science experiments and tools."

Doc bristled. "So like me?"

Cub scoffed and turned away, unable to come up with a retort.

Doc just continued to rub salt into the wound. "Oh, now you're ignoring me and polishing your gadgets. Paying more attention to your little items rather than a full-grown human who almost died in your last experiment!"

Cub pointed his index finger at a small gear, watching the Vex magic engulf it and slowly lift it up into the air.

"Why do I even bother?" Doc turned away, pretending not to notice his stuff crowding Cub's area.

Scar watched the pair argue from his newly built cottage. He knew the bickering was pointless. They knew the bickering was pointless. Ever since Scar had arrived, Cub and Doc had been at each other's throats, arguing over something that had happened weeks ago. 

Someone would have to end it soon.

Scar got up from his cottage porch and went to go talk to Cub.

»»————- ★ ————-««

False still hadn't picked her sword up.

She knew it was petty. The weapon had lost its shine and was rusted from the weather. But it was still lying in the same spot. The others knew not to touch it.

False sat on her sleeping bag with her legs pulled towards her chest, and she was watching her sword warily. She barely heard the bickering or loud construction in the background.

Stress looked up from her newly made ice sculpture to glance at False again.

Wels sat nearby, chucking arrows at a tree like darts. Each shot landed perfectly in the center of the trunk. "Why don't you go talk to her?"

Ice shot out of Stress's hands, slowly building up a sculpted arm. "I don't want to bother her."

Wels had run out of arrows. "I would talk to her if I were you." He got up from his spot. "I'm going to go poke Jevin."

Stress watched her elaborate sculpture slowly melt in the baking sun. With a flick of her hand, the ice collapsed and broke into pieces.

She got up and walked over to False.

»»————- ★ ————-««

"No. No way."

Scar groaned. He was trying to make Cub see reason, but he wouldn't listen. He was stubbornly staying put, telling Scar that Doc should be the one to end it.

"I don't care who ends it, just end it! Look," Scar said, turning serious. "You know it's pointless by now. Why not just let it go?"

Cub crossed his arms petulantly. He looked like a little kid.

Scar threw up his hands, frustrated. "You're a scientist. You like logic, right? Well, how about this. This incident happened weeks ago. You're still mad about it. Shouldn't you move on?"

Something flashed in Cub's eyes for a second--understanding? Then he shook his head. "Doc's being irrational. Not me."

"Oh my god, you're hopeless." Scar sat down on a rock.