𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞

-

-

WHEN I WOKE UP, THE PAIN WAS UNBEARABLE. Clearly, the bruising around my eye was coming out, and boy did it hurt. I got up, not ready for the hellish day ahead, although we didn't really have any official classes today so that was good, I guess. I glanced over at the clock, realising I was running late, even though school started later today, and decided to call Samuel so we could head to school together. I knew he would be going alone today, he made it very clear that Nano and him were done, no longer friends or even brothers. Yikes. Dialling his number, the phone rang a couple of times before Samuel's voice could be heard, and he sounded out of breath, as though he had also just woken up and realised he was late. "Hey Samu. Wanna go to school together?" I held the phone close to me as I spoke, hearing lost of rustling and banging around. "Outside in ten." He said, and the phone beeped, indicating he had hung up. Speeding up my morning routine, I attempted multitasking, trying to eat while buttoning my shirt, brushing my hair while tying my shoe laces. If anyone saw me as I stumbled around my apartment, I'd probably look crazy - thank god I was living alone right now. Finally pulling myself together, I left the house, almost running down the stairs to meet Samuel, who stood at the bottom. "Let's go." He said, and off we went.

Pushing those school doors open hurt, with the first thing I saw being Christian and Carla kissing. She must have been wrong when she told me how he felt, because looking at him now, there is no one else for him. I turned to Samuel, who put an arm around my shoulder as we walked past Carla and Christian, Samuel pointed to Guzman and we headed over there, interrupting his conversation with Polo. "Guzman, can we talk?" Guzman rolled his eyes but agreed, heading off into an empty classroom leaving me and Polo standing in the middle of the corridor. I leaned closer to him, whispering in his ear, "I bet you feel stupid now. That Carla has your boyfriend, and you've lost both of them." I said to him, smirking as I walked into the classroom where Samuel and Guzman went. "She can move to the moon if she wants." I looked to the pair confused, as Guzman continues, "I'm sick of her. Sick of looking after someone who wants to jump off every cliff she sees. Well, let her jump then. If she survives, she might learn something." Samuel looked shocked, and even I was surprised. Guzman always protected his sister, always. I guess since she betrayed the family he's given up on her. "She's your sister." Samuel spoke, and immediately Guzman responded, "And she's the girl that screwed you over. You, me, my entire family. She stole from us, blackmailed us with the help of your brother. Why don't you talk to him? For the same reason I don't talk to my sister. Because you know if something happens to them, they probably had it coming." He finished, walking out the room after his little speech. Samuel looked to me, shrugging, I guess giving up too. Realising Guzman might be right, he slumped down in a chair, playing with his thumbs like he had no idea what to do next. I walked over to him, giving him a huge embrace, knowing he needed it right now. "Come on, soon we'll be getting ready for the dance. Don't let this bring you down." I said, finally letting go of him.

Later on, we went our separate ways, with the girls going to get changed together. I stood in the corner, arriving first, followed by Carla who chose to place her stuff next to mine. "Hey." I said, and she smiled weakly. "Hey." She pulled me in for a quick hug, just as Marina walked in the room, sitting alone in the middle of the changing room. The changing room began filling up, everyone excited for the dance, gossiping about cute dresses and cute boys. Carla pulled out her beautiful white dress, and Marina pulled out a sparkly one, both admittedly going to look gorgeous. My dress was a simple burgundy, of course I didn't have the money for something designer, but I wasn't too disheartened. I watched as Carla got changed, slightly admiring her body but glancing away when I realised what I was doing. As I took my uniform off and attempted to get my dress on, I noticed Carla struggling with her zipper. I was about to go and help her when Marina made her way round to Carla. "Let me-" "Don't you dare." Carla spoke back, moving away from the girl. "Let me help you." Marina almost pleaded, and Carla scoffed. "Help me? Do you know what you're doing to your family and mine? You should be ashamed, betraying your people like this." She said, extremely pissed off with the girl. Marina almost smiled, "They will be all right, Carla. If your father pays. You have plenty of money." Carla smiles back, but a evil smile, as she speaks once more, "Right, like we can trust your boyfriend. How do I know he won't take the watch to the papers?" Marina smirked before telling Carla the watch is in good hands. Big fucking mistake. "Do you have it?" Carla asked, as Marina walked away, smiling confidently, leaving Carla staring at me wildly, as if shocked.