- treat you better - mw

this is set during season three, episode one: suzie, do you copy?

summary; y/n and lucas are dating, seems pretty simple, right? wrong. a certain boy gains feelings for a neglected girl.

word count: 1024

. . .

dating lucas sinclair was no trip in the park.

he was oblivious to everything when it came to dating y/n l/n. he thought that he liked her and that was enough, but he was so very wrong.

they never went on dates, they never hugged, they never kissed, they hadn't done anything that couples would do. they just seemed like friends. not even best friends, just friends.

y/n had liked lucas for as long as she could remember. she put notes in his locker, she stared for a little too long, while someone else was staring at her.

mike wheeler.

mike had liked y/n for as long as he could remember. he put notes in her locker, he stared for a little too long, while no one stared at him. mike just wanted to prove to y/n that he could treat her better. better than lucas.

the party - minus el - were all going to watch a movie. dawn of the dead. y/n was dying to see it, and mike knew that, lucas didn't. lucas never listened to what she was saying anymore, but mike did. so, mike attempting to win y/n's heart and make her realise that he could treat her better, he invited the whole squad to see a movie, because he would definitely make a fool out of himself if it was just y/n and mike.

lucas and max were talking behind the y/n, mike and will, much to y/n's distaste. she wasn't jealous that her boyfriend was talking to max, she just wanted some attention from lucas for once.

"you looking forward to the movie?" will nudged y/n.

"huh? o-oh, yeah! even though it's just a preview, it's still going to be awesome!" y/n's gaze turned to mike, but he was already looking at her. "thank you for doing this, mike. it's really thoughtful of you."

"yeah, yeah, d-don't worry about it. anything for you-us! anything for us- our party, right?" mike nervously chuckled.

y/n smiled at mike's goofiness, and turned to will, who already had a smile on his face.

"what's up with him?" y/n whispered to will.

"oh! nothing! mike's always like this with you." will's smile grew bigger.

y/n looked back at mike, who was desperately trying to look anywhere, but y/n's face.

y/n had to admit that mike was very attractive, and kind, and sweet, and lovely, and perf-

y/n shook her head.

she shouldn't be thinking about a boy like this when she's dating someone else, but lucas never payed attention to her, mike did. lucas never listened, mike did.

the more y/n thought about it, the more she realised that she liked mike more than lucas. she couldn't keep dating him, if she didn't like him.

the sound of a bell snapped y/n out of her thoughts.

"hey, dingus! your children are here!" y/n looked up to see her older friend.

"hey robin!" y/n smiled at her.

"y/n!" robin ran round the counter and pulled y/n into a bone crushing hug.

y/n was the only one of the kids that robin talked to. they were very alike.

steve opened the window to the back of scoops ahoy.

"seriously? again?" steve sighed.

y/n said goodbye to robin as her, mike, will, lucas and max scurry through the back.

"if anyone finds out what you're doing-" steve begins.

"we're dead!" the party yells back.

"oh! and mike, good luck with your plan!" steve disappears from view.

"what plan?" lucas asks mike.

"oh! it's n-nothing." mike mutters before speeding up.

the five all enter the cinema, as y/n pulls lucas to the side.

"we need to talk." y/n said to her boyfriend.

"what's up?" lucas responds.

"i-" y/n takes a deep breath. "i think we need to break up."

"w-what? why?" lucas asks dumbfounded.

"we never talk lucas! we never do anything together!" y/n replies.

"okay, okay, fine." lucas sadly sighs. "i respect your decision, it's probably for the best."

"thank you, lucas. truly." y/n holds out her hand. "still be friends?"

"always and forever." lucas shakes her hand and goes to sit next to max.

y/n weaves her way through a row of people until she gets to her seat in-between mike and will.

the movie preview begins playing, making y/n smile ever so slightly, mike instantly noticing.

suddenly, it stops playing.

it's replaced by a blank screen.

mutters and yells are heard all around the theatre.

"i'm going to get some tissues from max." will suddenly stands up and goes to the spare seat next to lucas.

"what the hell?" y/n looks to will who's pretending to ask for tissues. "what's that all about?"

"um, well, y/n," mike begins as y/n turns to face him. "i need to tell you something."

"go ahead." y/n sweetly smiles, making mike get momentarily distracted by her smile.

"i know your dating lucas and everything, but he doesn't treat you right." mike heavily sighs. "he ignores you, he doesn't kiss you, hold your hand, tells you that he loves you. he doesn't do anything. do you know why i chose to go see this movie? because i listen, i listen to you whenever lucas doesn't listen to you, which is always. i always listen, and i always will, because i love you y/n, not just like...love, and i know that you're dating lucas and everything, but i really, really lo-"

y/n pulls mike by the collar and they lock lips. a soft kiss, but a welcome one.

y/n slowly pulls away and looks deep into mike's eyes.

"i love you too." y/n smiles.

"b-but, what about lucas?" mike shakes his head in confusion.

"i broke up with him." y/n grasps mike's hand. "just before we came in here, because i realised i loved you, not him."

"soooo-" mike starts.

"soooo-" y/n copies. "be my boyfriend?"

"be my-" mike starts, before realising what y/n said. "cheeky."

mike chuckles to himself as y/n nudges him.

"soooo, yeah or-" y/n smirks.

"yes!" mike says a little too loudly.

y/n laughs at her boyfriend, as mike admires her, happy that he finally got the girl.

will returns back to his original seat, as the movie begins to play again, followed by an army of cheers.

"turns out that they didn't have any tissue, but i'm glad that you two are finally together."