#10 - Like Spiderwoman

Chapter 10 - Like Spiderwoman
published: Wednesday, 25 February 2020

as per heavy request, here's a double update :)

—*—

Annabeth woke up in a room of bright marble. The ceiling and walls were cream, and the grey floor matched the theme perfectly.

Piper's house. Her living room, to be exact.

A small groan escaped her lips as Annabeth shifted her position. She was propped up against a wall, a bandage chafing against her skin.

"You're awake!" someone said in relief. Jason? Leo?

As the person neared, Annabeth realised that it was Frank Zhang, one of Percy's friends. His face, which she'd only seen twisted in anger, was framed with concern, assessing the damage done to her.

Annabeth glanced at the clock. 7.20pm. She hadn't been out for long then.

"What happened?" she groaned groggily, attempting to raise a hand to her head. Annabeth hissed as she felt a bolt of pain spark from her ribs. As she looked down, her stomach churned at the sight of the widespread bloodstain on her previously white and pink-striped t-shirt.

Trying to inch her arm in minuscule movements, Annabeth rolled up the hem of her shirt, instantly shuddering as she saw the bandages covering her abdomen.

The stab wound. Someone had wrapped it in bandages, but some blood still stained it.

"God," she murmured. "That looks terrible."

"You probably shouldn't move," Frank advised. "Piper said she called your mum to say that you'd fallen asleep. She said you could stay the night."

Annabeth blinked. Helen must've thought the pressures at school were giving her a hard time and making her tired.

Her eyes widened as she realised that her other friends had also been in the fight."Did we all get away fine?"

"You were hurt the worst," Frank assured her. He looked down. "Thanks for jumping in for Percy. I know you got hurt, but he might've gotten worse if you hadn't."

"I would do it again," she told him nonchalantly. "He's my friend too."

Frank gave her a begrudging smile. "I'm sorry I told him to avoid you. You're not so bad, Chase."

"Please," Annabeth said dismissively. She glanced down at her wound with a laugh. "I think we're acquainted. Call me 'Annabeth'."

A pitter-patter or footsteps alerted her to Jason's arrival in the living room, his stance relaxing when he saw her awake.

"Oh, I was so worried," he groaned, rushing to her side. "How do you feel?"

Annabeth struggled to sit up properly. "Not that great. It hurts, but I'm alive, so I guess I'll take it." She made a face when she saw his black eye. "That looks painful."

"Would've been worse if Frank hadn't jumped in," Jason admitted. Annabeth watched in astonishment as the two boys exchanged smiles.

"I've died and gone to heaven," she snorted. "Look at you two, being all friendly."

Frank wrinkled his nose. "Not quite there yet." He shrugged. "But you're not too bad, Jason. I'll get Piper and Leo." As he stood up and walked away, Annabeth looked at Jason expectantly.

"Well, I'll say the bruise looks pretty badass," Annabeth said helpfully.

Jason scoffed, "Piper didn't think so. Nearly killed me when she saw it."