two.

Darrin folded his hands under his pillow as he snores his life away

Darrin folded his hands under his pillow as he snores his life away. His mouth was agape and his eyes were tightly closed. His long legs stretched over the king sized bed as he turned his head and scratched his nose.

The sound of the alarm going off caused him to reach over on his nightstand and shut it off. He rolled into his back and looked up at the high ceiling with his dark doe shaped eyes.

Slowly, he looked over at the clock and winced. He couldn't remember the amount of times he pressed the snooze button and now he had only an hour to get ready. Just an hour to eat both him and his daughter ready.

"Fuck," Darrin cursed and shot out of the bed. Quickly, he tossed on his shirt and headed towards the room with his daughters name branded in a horizon style, in red. He knocked one the door and pushed it open. Despite it being his house and his daughter was only seven years old, he wanted to show her that he was still able to give her a bit of privacy.

He entered the red and pink room and neared the white bed. Placing m his hand on top of the headboard, he looked down at his daughter and smiled lightly. She was beautiful and he was so happy to see that she took after him in many ways. Not only some of her facial features, but the drive that she had to go for what she wanted. And, she was very smart.

"Rosé, you gotta wake up, baby."

"No, I don't wanna to go school." She mumbled into the pillow.

"You have to," Darrin said. He shook his head and removed the blanket off of her tiny body. Gently, he pushed the bonnet that he'd gotten for her, away from her face and grabbed her petite body.

He ignored her whining and brought her into the washroom.

"I don't wanna go to school," Rosé repeated.

She did this every single day ever since they packed up their things and moved to a new city when Rosé was in the first grade. She hated the school that she went to and found any and every way to stay home. If she was going to fake being sick then she'd do so. As long as she didn't have to attend school.

"It sucks that this is a concrete routine for us," Darrin added some water to her toothbrush before he squeezed some toothpaste on. She grabbed her toothbrush while he grabbed his own.

"Daddy, why can't I go to work with you?"

"Because work is for grown ups. You'll be hating it when you get older, trust me." Darrin would do everything to call in sick and just relax with his daughter at home. But he had a business to run and money to make.

Darrin was always a smart man and he had his parents to thank for that. They supported him through every step of the way. They had money and made sure that he was going to the best schools and getting good treatment.

Shit, he deserved it after all of the things this country— this world has done to his people.

He went to school in places where they were pre-dominantly white and he learned how to not care about what people thought of him there. But when he went home...