10. Start Of Married Life

Scarlet

After changing into my navy blue satin pyjamas, I stared at my reflection in the mirror. The bathroom was more luxurious than my entire apartment and it was freaking me out. I didn't know I would be sharing a room with him and this piece of news was messing with my sanity.

Letting out a deep breath, I made my way out of the bathroom. He was sitting on the bed, scrolling his mobile. Realising my presence, he lifted his head and gave me a very brief glance.

Ignoring him, I made my way to the dressing table and combed my hair that were still tangled because of all the bobby pins. Letting my hair loose, I contemplated whether to join the bed or not.

I was relieved when he himself left the bed and walked towards his desk to sit there. Using that chance, I hopped on the bed and covered my legs with the blanket, keeping my mobile beside me.

"Gabe, why didn't you send me the file yet?" he called someone on the phone and asked in a tired voice.

The person said something, to which he groaned, "What made you think that I might not need it tonight? Send it to me as soon as possible." he said and cut the call.

My eyes diverted to the clock and it was close to midnight. I was quite tired because of the wedding but he didn't look like he was going to sleep anytime soon. He opened his laptop, pulled out some files and then started doing some work.

Silently, I observed his hair that were ruffled in a sexy way and the veins in his arms that were protruding out of the bulging muscles. Girls like me don't get married to men like him--- Hot, intimidating and rich. He was like a hero in a romance novel and I was just an average girl, too simple, too normal. Then why did my destiny land me in a marriage with him?

I was busy thinking that when my eyelids started feeling heavy. Soon, I succumbed to sleep, forgetting about this workaholic man who was supposed to be my husband.

.........

When I woke up next morning, I found myself in an unfamiliar room. It took me a moment to remember my marriage and for some time, it felt like a long dream.

But when my gaze landed on the tall figure collapsed on the couch at one side of the room, I realised that it wasn't a dream. Stretching my arms, I rose to sitting position and observed Evan. The couch was too small for him but he had somehow adjusted to it. His left arm was dangling down the couch while his legs were protruding out of it. Half of the blanket was falling on the floor while the other half was covering his long legs.

Walking out of bed, I walked towards him and pulled the blanket over him. He had a frown on his face which was probably permanent, because he always looked like all the weight of the world was on his broad shoulder.

Shaking my head, I went into the bathroom, did my morning routine and changed into fresh clothes. I chose a light blue floral maxi dress that reached my ankles and styled my hair in a braid.

He was still sleeping so I made my way outside. The delicious aroma from the kitchen pulled me to it. I stood in the doorframe shyly as I watched Kelly make breakfast.

"Good morning Ma'am," she said when she noticed me.

"Oh, please call me Scarlet." I said and stepped inside.

"Sure, Scarlet. What would you like to eat?" she asked respectfully. I was not used to someone doing something for me so it felt weird.

"What are you making?" I asked, staring at the bowl.

"Spinach Omelet. Evan sir likes to eat Omelet and toast in the breakfast." she said as she mixed the cilantro in the eggs.

"If you don't mind, can I?" I asked and she looked slightly unsure.

"You don't have to worry. I'll make the breakfast." she resisted and I pouted in return.

"Please," I requested. Nodding, she backed away and let me make the breakfast.

Once she engrossed herself in making fresh orange juice, I made the spinach Omelet and gave it my distinct touch. Then I toasted the bread, made some sausages and prepared two plates of breakfast, leaving some for Kelly and George.

"Hurry up, Kelly. Sir is on the dining table," George said and Kelly rushed outside with both plates balanced in her hands, as if Evan would kill her if she was even a minute late.

I followed her outside to the dining table where Evan was sitting fully dressed in a three piece grey suit. I don't know how he got ready in a very short time. When he felt my presence, he stared at me and I felt self conscious all of sudden.

Once Kelly served the breakfast, I sat beside him and took few sips of the juice. "Good morning," I heard his voice and whispered the same to him.

"Kelly," he said after taking a bite and I gripped the table in apprehension. "The Omelet tastes better today. Good job." he said and began taking another bite.

Kelly was about to say something when I gave her a look, motioning her to stay silent and go with the flow. She in return passed me a brief smile that caused me to smile as well.

"Scarlet." I heard Cara's voice as she came rushing towards me from the door. Once she reached me, she enveloped me in a hug which I responded eagerly.

"Who dropped you?" Evan asked in his not-so-excited voice.

"Grandma." she replied as I settled her on my lap and passed her the juice. "She was going to supermarket."

"Oh. Did you eat anything?" I asked her.

"Yes. Grandma bought me bagel and milkshake." she smiled back and refused to have the juice.

"Great," I smiled and ran my fingers through her long, smooth hair.

She then hopped out of my lap and seated herself beside me. She watched me carefully as I ate my omelet. "Scarlet, can I ask you something?" Her nervous voice rose.

"Sure." I replied.

"Can I call you Mommy now?" she said and both Evan and I coughed simultaneously. I should have expected it but the thought didn't cross my mind that she would want to call me Mom.

"Um..." I stammered, not knowing what to say.

I turned to look at Evan who looked seriously disturbed. I knew he was thinking about his deceased wife and it must be stressing him that I was taking his place.

To relieve him of this tension, I told Cara, "Baby, you already have a mommy, Eliza mommy." I said and she pouted in return. "But maybe you can call me something else. Like... Um... Mama?"

"Mama." she repeated. "It sounds nice."

"Yes, it does. I used to call my mom Mama." I told her and she smiled as a response.

"Okay Mama," she muttered excitedly.

I shifted my gaze to Evan who was gaping at me with a serious look on his face, as if he hadn't expected me to handle it like that. He never said that but it was obvious that for some reason, he thought of me as a bitch who wants to take the position of Eliza in this house and in his life. So my saying this probably came as a shock to him.

"Thanks," he whispered so lowly that I barely heard him.

"My pleasure," I passed him a smile which he didn't reciprocate.

_________________________