Chapter Thirty Two

I could feel Verena's anger from where I stood. It was overwhelming, taking over the room and sending waves of uneasiness through my body.

I tried to walk slowly if only to pause our arrival. I was interested to watch the battles from a learning point of view, but I didn't want to watch two people brutally tear each other to death.

Verena angrily opened the door, opening up into an indoor training station. Punching bags and various exercise machines line one wall, a range of weapons on the other. Long benches line the third wall, which was where all six chosen warriors were sitting, all in human form.

Almost like a volcanic eruption, Verena's rage flared again. It was smothering, her eyes lighting up in angry rage when she saw her mate, whose name I still didn't know, anxiously sitting on the bench next to one of the burly wolves.

I watched her fingers flex, most likely convincing herself not to punch Maddox in the face.

She turned around, "Are you confident in all of your selections? I have no problem in revisiting any of the sections for you to rechoose."

"No, I'm good thanks." Maddox shrugged, his tone cold enough for Verena to know that nothing was changing.

I watched her take a deep intake of breath, "As you wish,"

She turned back around in a heated flurry, "Sallow, Orman, dushc duub. Geudbs usb gde sjduebnas dhwod."

"Basically to choose a weapon and get into the arena," Maddox whispered.

The two wolves that fought in human form stood up with a respective nod. I noticed that the weapons that had been holding earlier were discarded, laying uselessly on the floor next to where their feet where. The man grabbed a sword, simple and sharp. The woman opted for a staff. It was plain, sturdy and topped with a harshly cut shard of metal, enough to do a great deal of damage.

However, I guessed that the battle would be over in five minutes, as the wood base looked like playdough in the wake of the steel sword.

They walked into the area with no fear, not a glint of terror in their eye or a tremble in their arm. Cool, calm and calculated.

Maddox watched them with careful eyes, inspecting each move of their weapon in their hand. The two warriors bowed and took a position.

Verena stood forward, "Heiebd wuegudb wjuqoebd oqjudn wobivd juhibade, iebrud woeudb skaqobhd... JAWDBEI"

"Do not hold back, the duel will end when one surrenders, let the battle commence," I heard Maddox say, I almost felt as if I didn't need the translation.

At Verena's word, they sprung into action. I watched the sword fly in streaks and flashes of metallic silver, a sharp contrast on the brown blurs that accompanied it. I watched their bodies, the sharp hits of their arms, desperately trying to cut the other off. I watched their legs fly up in order to disorientate from another angle, hard kicks in the stomach or the leg. The woman - Orman seemed to be winning. I could see her opponent struggle, his sword suddenly weakening against her seemingly unbreakable staff. And then it was over, she launched her staff into his side before using her elbow and smashing him across the jaw, sending his already-weakened body flying helplessly to the ground.

She launched the staff down into his chest, letting the crack of his rib echo throughout the room. Not even a second later, he began to shout,

"ILPODA!" He panted,  moving a hand in front of his face and scooting away in a form of surrender. Orman smirked triumphantly, letting her staff hang loosely in her slackened hand.

She waited a second, one, two, three before extending her hand down. He eagerly took it, letting her pull him up before walking off the arena, nursing his quickly bruising, bloody body.