drugin' | forty nine.

January 21, 2020

               Strutting on the walkway, the nude Christian Louboutin So Kate Patent Pointed-Toe Pumps hit against the concrete

               Strutting on the walkway, the nude Christian Louboutin So Kate Patent Pointed-Toe Pumps hit against the concrete. Light denim, ripped knee and frayed hem jeans hugged her slender thighs and small waist. Tucked at the jeans waist is a denim, mid-sleeve button down. Sun shined down on her carob brown skin that glowed naturally. A slight breeze blew, moving tresses of her loose curls touching her shoulders. Sunglasses covered her eyes and a nude tote purse hanging from her forearm, she pulled the door open and immediately greeted with the sound of a band streaming their instruments and angelic vocals bouncing off the four walls.

Door closed behind her as her heels came in contact with the weathered concrete flooring of the rehearsal studio. Behind her sunglasses, she looked around five hundred forty square foot space taking in the modern industrial warehouse with exposed brick walls, high beam ceiling, and spacious open layout. Her eyes averted back towards the stage, laying her eyes the short and golden skin of Shantey. A round fan sits in front of the stage blowing her hair and dressed comfortably in a Balenciaga Oversized BB Logo Sweatshirt and Side Striped Biker Shorts. On her small pair of feet are black Balenciaga Stretch-Knit High-Top Sock Trainers flat on the hardwood stage.

Out of her peripheral vision, Shantey noticed a figure and glanced towards the entrance of the rehearsal studio landing her eyes on someone she have not laid eyes on in years. The middle daughter of Tania's; Monae Abraham Miller. Monae became aware of Shantey spotting her and removed her sunglasses. Shantey really didn't understand why her sister was there. Monae never left their hometown. She enjoyed the life of being a housewife and raising her child in a better life she and her sister's ever had. She distanced herself away from the drama and negativity to mentally and emotionally heal herself. A month turned into a year and that one year turned into years. Monae loved the life of staying away from what drained her.

Shantey continued her rehearsal and killing her notes; one thing that made Monae smile. Shantey let her band know to take a five before she stepped off the rehearsal stage and footed towards her sister. "Monae.... You're here in California... And found me, how?"

"Anissa told me."

"Did she, now?" Shantey inquired, peering over her shoulder at Anissa, who was having a conversation her manager and assistant. She averted her attention back to Monae. "Well, I think you coming was kinda pointless. We have nothing—"

"She told me about you passing out almost two weeks ago...." Monae uttered, interrupting Shantey from dismissing the needed conversation, "With pills in your hand."

"And what the fuck does that have to do with you, Monae?" Shantey asked, frowning her face. "You ain't been around in years mami. So you care now? You need to go back to Tulsa with your husband and child I've never met and let Shantey deal with this alone... as I usually do. You don't care Mo. And I don't know why Anissa called you. I have rehearsal to do and I'm not about to be bothered with your bullshit," she added as she start feeling a burning pain in her chest.