Eight

"How can you be sure? My mum could've been any Michelle, not necessarily your one." I said trying to wrap my head around things.

"I didn't think anything until I saw the birthmark on your hand the day Diego was taken." He said nodding down to my hand where my star like birthmark sat at the bottom of my thumb.

"So? It's a birthmark?" I said unsure of what it had to do with anything.

"Yeah but, me, my father and Justin have the same one, all in different places." He said. "Mines right here." He said moving his leather jacket and lifting his shirt slightly to reveal a mark that does look exactly like mine. "My father's was in the same place is yours, base of his thumb." He said looking at my hand with a small smile on his face.

"What do we do now?" I asked unsure of how I was feeling, the facts not quite sinking in yet. Sighing he reached into his back pocket and pulled out a swab. "A DNA test?"  I asked sort of shocked that he'd already sorted it.

"If you want to, listen, if you don't want to know that's fine, it's your choice." He said holding out the swap for me to take.

Do I want to know? Will it change everything? But what if I never find out? I'll spend the rest of my life thinking about what could have happened. Sighing I quickly took the bottle type thing from his hand, unscrewing the lid and taking out the swab I ran it around my mouth a couple of times putting it back in before I handed it back to him.

"I, uh, I gotta go." I muttered throwing my coat on and leaving the room and quickly pushing through the crowd of people to get out of the bar, the fresh air hitting me just as the tears began to fall, and that's how I ended up where I am now...

Standing outside the apartment door, I tried to stop the tears as I waited for him to answer after knocking multiple times. Just as I was about to give up assuming he was asleep I heard the lock click and slowly the door opened revealing Jay stood there in nothing but a pair of plaid pyjama bottoms, his face turning confused as he saw it was me.

"Can I come in?" I asked voice breaking slightly as I twirled my thumbs together.

"Yeah of course, what's up?" He asked motioning for me to come in, leading me over to the sofa pulling me down beside him.

"Voight's my dad." I said bluntly laughing slightly at how crazy that sounded as more tears fell down my cheeks.

"What?" He said just as confused as he put an arm around my shoulder and pulled me into his side resting my head on his shoulder.

"That's what he wanted to talk to me about, he and my mum had a thing together when him and Camille took a break once." I explained sniffing slightly while wiping my eyes. "He said he had no idea until he saw my birthmark, then he checked my file properly." I said recalling what Hank had said no more then an hour ago.

"And you're sure?" He asked rubbing his hand up and down my arm.

"He had a DNA swab on him, we've just gotta wait for the result." I said quietly, wiping the remaining tears away as they stopped falling. "Oh god, do you think Trudy knew?" I asked sitting up slightly as the thought crossed my mind.

"Hey," he said pulling away from me and placing his hands on either side of my face making me look at him. "It's been a long day, let's get some sleep and we'll deal with this tomorrow. Okay?" He said wiping my cheeks with the pads of his thumb, his eyes shinning as he did.

Nodding my head slightly I pulled my coat off and placed it on the coffee table. "You can take the bed, I'll sleep in here." He said standing up and holding his hand out for me to take.