"You're safe with me" *part 2* (Bradley Baker)

The feeling of ice-cold numbness ran through my entire body, making me shake uncontrollably as I lay against Bradley's chest in the back of our truck. I could feel his body shivering too, but I could tell that he was trying to limit the involuntary movements as much as he could as he pulled me impossibly close and pulled the one blanket that we had further around our bodies. I gulped, my numb yet still shaking hand rested on Bradley's coat-clad chest next to my head. I tried not to think about how this was the closest we'd been in a long time, my mind trying to deny the fact that Bradley was probably only cuddling me like this to keep us both warm enough to survive.

"Are we going to die out here?" I mumbled as my body continued to shiver uncontrollably. Bradley sighed, looking down at me.

"No, we're not. I promise you that I'll get you out of here." He nodded as he pressed his lips to my head. I sighed as a tear rolled down my cheek, my husband's heartbeat somewhat soothing me.

"I'm sorry. About what I said about me never being a dad. I know that that's a really sensitive topic for you, and I'm never going to love you any less for something that you can't help." He mumbled.

"And I'm sorry for comparing you to your dad. I know that I didn't know him, but you're three times the man that he was. And I know that you'd be a better dad than he'd be." I nodded. He returned it, a tear falling into my hair as he pulled me closer. The new embrace suddenly made me aware of how tired I was, despite the freezing cold that surrounded us.

"I love you, Bradley." I whispered as I let my eyes flutter shut.

"I love you too, Y/N." he returned, making my lips tug into a small smile as I drifted off into sleep.

Bradley's P.O.V

Bradley's eyes slowly fluttered open, a small groan leaving his lips as he slipped out of sleep and back into the feeling of his entire body being numb from the cold. He blinked, his eyebrows furrowed as it was still dark outside of the truck. He must have only been asleep for an hour or two, if that. He looked down, a small smile on his lips as Y/N still lay asleep next to him. She looked beautiful, as always. Bradley sighed, not entirely sure of how he had let his marriage with the love of his life slip through the cracks this much. He wouldn't lie to himself, he blamed a lot of it on his dad, his anger issues especially. His eyebrows furrowed as he noticed that Y/N's skin was a lot paler than usual, her complexion almost blue. His eyes widened and he jolted up, rushing to get his coat off.

"No, no, please be okay." He choked as he quickly got undressed of his coat and jacket, leaving him in just his flannel shirt and t-shirt as he piled the other layers on top of Y/N in a desperate attempt to keep her warm, and alive. He gulped and leant down, pressing his ear to her chest. He choked as he could feel a heartbeat, but an extremely weak one.

"Y/N, wake up, please." The boy begged, gently pulling his wife into his arms whilst being careful to keep her under the layers of coats. He didn't care that the lack of clothing was now making him shiver uncontrollably, he just wanted her to be okay.

"Babe, wake up, I'm begging you. Please, I can't live without you, please just open your eyes." He cried as he cupped her cheek and shook her gently, trying to wake her. But her eyes stayed closed. He squeezed his eyes shut, allowing more tears to leave them as he leant his head down and brought her cold body up, resting his head against her chest as he cried into her skin. Suddenly, he heard something, making his head shoot up. He gulped, trying not to so much as breathe in case he missed the sound. His eyes widened as the sound came again, the sound of tires on snow. His eyes widened further, his heart filling with hope as he saw two headlights in the distance. He lay Y/N back down on the floor of the truck as quickly as he could before scrambling out of the truck.

"Shitting hell." He hissed as the cold air hit his skin. He wrapped his arms around himself, squinting as he stumbled into the road and in front of the lights.

"HEY! HEY, HELP! PLEASE!" he yelled at the top of his lungs, waving his arms erratically as the car got closer. Bradley squinted and covered his eyes from the strong beam of the headlights as the car stopped fifty feet away from him and a man who looked about forty climbed out.

"What the fuck is wrong with you, kid? You'll catch your death dressed like that out here." The man scoffed.

"Please, help me. I crashed here last night. My wife is in the car and she's in a bad way, I can't wake her up, please help." He choked. The man's eyes widened, and he rushed towards Bradley before spotting the truck.

"Is she hurt?" the man asked.

"No, but we've been stranded since last night, she's really cold and her heartbeat is almost gone." Bradley stated, trying not to cry as they walked towards the truck.

"Okay. It's going to be alright, son, grab your wife and anything warm that you have, and I'll get the two of you in my car and will drive you to the nearest hospital." He nodded.

"Thank you, sir, thank you so much." Bradley choked. The man gave him a small smile as he nodded and opened the boot, revealing Y/N still lying there, unconscious.

"Jesus, she's as white as a sheet." The man scoffed as Bradley gently wrapped his arms under her and picked her up bridal style, making sure to keep the coats and blankets on her as he carried her to the man's car.

Y/N's P.O.V

"Here, wrap her in that."

"Put that around her, there you go."

"You're going to be okay, babe. I promise."

My eyebrows furrowed slightly as I heard a car engine and sudden new warmth around me, as well as the feeling of Bradley's arms around me and his heartbeat by my ear. I peeled my eyes open weakly and looked around, seeing that I was in the back of someone's car, in Bradley's arms.

"Bradley?" I whispered, looking up at him and causing him to look down at me. His eyes widened.

"Y/N, oh my god." He choked as he leant down and peppered kisses all over my face, his hand holding my cheek.

"What happened? Where are we? Where's the truck?" I gulped.

"We left it, babe, we had to. But it's okay because I spotted this man driving down the road, and so flagged him down. Just in time too, I couldn't wake you up, and your heartbeat was virtually gone." He nodded, his eyes wavering as a tear left them. I sighed, leaning my shaking hand up and cupping his cheek, which he immediately leant into.

"You told me that I was safe with you, Bradley. Of course you were going to keep your promise." I chuckled slightly in an attempt to make him feel better.

"How can you say that? I almost lost you." He choked.

"You didn't, though. I wouldn't be in this car, heading for safety if it weren't for you." I reassured him. He looked at me and sighed, nodding slightly.

"Babe, this whole thing has made me realise that I don't want a divorce. I love you, as much as I did the day I asked you to marry me. I'm not giving up on us, okay?" he nodded, cupping my cheek. I smile and bit my lip.

"Good. Because I'm not giving up on us either." I shook my head. He gave me a small smile and nodded before leaning down and pressing our lips together. But unlike our kiss last night, our lips stayed intact, admittedly for the first time in a long time. Bradley broke the kiss, gently touching our foreheads as he peeled his eyes open. He pressed a gentle kiss to my head before wrapping his arms further around my still numb body, me happily complying as I rested my head in his neck.