six

To say the least, this particular hike quickly turned into the most interesting one I have ever been on.

In the past two hours Luke and I have walked a total of almost three miles through winding trees, clumps of poison ivy, endless puddles of mud, and pretty much every other natural resource/possible setback known to mankind.

But we've gotten through it together--that is, with the help of Ashton, Michael, and Calum.

Figuratively and mentally, however, we have gotten absolutely nowhere.

After many experiences of falling, tripping, laughing, and slipping (Luke does the falling, Ashton does the tripping, Michael does the laughing, and Calum does the slipping) throughout the hike to get to our destination, everyone is too exhausted to do anything else but remain focused on the trail, let alone at least try and get along.

Even Ashton has lost his enthusiasm--within only five minutes of starting our trek, nonetheless. Once upon a time (but a long, long time ago) he might have been cheerful and merry, but now he keeps his eyes glued to the ground and focuses intensely on not tripping.

Luke has a similar attitude as he sulks next to Ashton, covered in mud nearly from head to toe. Even his naturally dirty blonde hair is streaked with dirt, giving it a somewhat highlighted effect. It's still unnaturally fluffy; probably the result of a high-quality hair product that has yet to lose its luster.

The only body part left clean is his clear blue eyes, (unfortuantely) still as piercing as ever from behind his mud mask.

Calum and Michael bring up the rear--and, although less concerned on tripping and falling than Ashton and Luke, they creep along slowly in short, cautious strides. They keep me somewhere near them just in case their foot gets tangled in a weed and/or if they're not entirely too sure if the tree they just hip-checked each other into is poisonous or not.

I, however, am having a fantastic time, regardless of what the four goofballs have done to slow our pace. I haven't fallen once (and don't plan on it, thanks to my sturdy Converse) and am thoroughly enjoying the whimsical, evergrowing trees that surround us, the breathtaking change of scenery, and the fresh, open air.

I actually feel free for once--no classes, no hallways, no homework. This is a beautiful escape from my usually not-so-busy-life, schoolwork, and non-existent social life.

Because out here, ironically, I actually feel like I belong somewhere.

Despite being able to connect with nature, oddly enough I've somewhat eased into the foreign idea of 'being social' as well. Since the very beginning of the walk, Michael and Calum, being the persistent dorks they are, have drilled me with question-after-question---which actually weren't all about my so-called 'relationship' with Luke, thankfully. I'm not prepared to discuss 'the incident' yet with anyone, not even Luke himself.

But almost as surprising is the fact that the duo aren't as douchey as I orignally thought, but are actually really easy to talk to. They seem to understand me quite well--that is, out of everything I've told them so far. I haven't told them much--just about the fact that I have an unhealthy obsession with Muse and chocolate-covered pretzels--but already they know more about me than anyone else has ever bothered to find out.

Leading the group, Ashton and Luke are basically in their own bubble the entire time, separated from us. Ashton talks occasionally to the group as a whole, but mainly just sticks to the blue-eyed blonde.

Meanwhile, Luke doesn't try to talk to me at all--or even Michael and Calum for that matter--which I'm thoroughly grateful for. I'm not too excited about the prospect of having to face him ever again, but I know it's inevitable. I'm just glad it's not right now, in front of my almost-step-brother and his overly interrogating friends.