Book 4 ~ Chapter 3

Lei opened her eyes and had waken up later than usual, now that she was off as a detective. She turned her head to the side against the pillow, and saw Mako sleeping soundly next to her. She smiled and turned her body facing him. She stared at him for a while, looking at his beautiful features. She always wondered how they were able to stick with each other this long. They've had their fights over the three years, but they always managed to get around them. Lei was used to taking care of others, it's nice for her to know that someone would care for her this much.

She carefully got out of bed and entered her kitchen. She never really learned to cook, Mako would be the one to do the cooking since he used to take care of Bolin. She was willing to give it a try. She grabbed some eggs from her refrigerator and took out the pan from the cabinet. She turned on her stove, increasing the flame but it didn't work. She pouted when the flame didn't rise but she had an idea. She made a flame gun with her fingers and put her own flame near the already lit fire. The flames increased at touch, she smiled. She put the pan on the stove, she wondered what she was supposed to do next. Using her knowledge, she cracked an egg and placed it softly on the pan, as it sizzled. She smiled, thinking how easy it was. She started the coffee maker, and it began grinding the coffee. Lei went back to check on her eggs, only to see it was obviously burnt. She gasped and turned off the stove. She sighed as she looked at her burnt creation.

"I thought I smelt something burning," a voice said, from behind her. She turned around to see Mako, with his ruffled hair. She smiled embarrassingly.

"I actually commend you, you make it look so easy," Lei said genuinely, as she leaned her back against the counter. Mako approached her and leaned on the counter, both of his arms either side of her waist, trapping her between the counter and him.

"It's funny how you can save an entire city but not make scramble eggs for breakfast," Mako teased, Lei playfully hit him and he chuckled. He smiled and looked into her eyes, before giving her a kiss on the lips. Lei instinctively put her arms around his neck, while Mako put his arms around her waist. They pulled away after enjoying their sweet morning kiss.

"At least I made coffee," Lei smiled, Mako smiled and rolled his eyes before getting two mugs from the cabinet above her. She sat down on the counter stool, as he watched him pour coffee on the mugs. Once he was done, he carried the mugs to the counter and slid one towards her.

"What are you planning on doing today, now that you're out of a job?" Mako asked, as he took a sip out of his coffee. Lei sighed heavily.

"I think I'm gonna head over to Tenzin, maybe talk about Korra to check up on her status, maybe also ask about what might be happening to me," Lei answered, taking a sip of her coffee. Mako nodded slowly.

"You really think he'd know what is happening to you?" Mako asked worriedly, Lei shrugged.

"I don't know. I was hoping he could contact Kya or Katara about it," Lei said softly, as she looked down and held onto her cup of coffee. Mako looked at her and she knew that she wanted to know what was happening to her, it frustrated her. He wished he could to do something more to help her but he didn't know what was happening to her either. He reached his hand out and grabbed hers, causing her to look at him.

"When you find out what is happening to you, I'll have your back no matter what, okay? You're not alone," Mako said softly, before kissing the hand that he held with both of his. Lei smiled and nodded.

After a good start in the morning, Mako had left for work, or rather, babysit Prince Wu. Lei changed into her regular robes and made her way out of her apartment building. She hailed a Sato Taxi that stopped in front of her. She got inside and told the driver to take her to the docks. As the sato mobile drove smoothly, she stared out the window admiring the gorgeous city as they took the sky road.