2: Glances

Zane

The rest of my shift went on smoothly. No naggy customers, or very demanding ones. I cleaned the last table of the day and said goodbye to André and then left. It was a little chilly outside so my jacket hugged me closer.

Whiffs of mom's cooking hit me right as I walked inside the house. Her food always smelled heavenly.

We ate in silence, which was common. My sister talked a little about what she did at school, but other than that no one talked. The clanking of spoons and plates was the dominant conversation.

I liked silent dinners. My family was all around me and I was comfortable sitting with them, without worrying about having to keep a conversation going.

After dinner I excused myself to my bedroom and shut the door. I was really tired and couldn't wait to place my head on the pillow.

I was out in seconds.

--

Have you ever hated something so bad that you didn't want anything to associate you with it in any sorts? Like, you didn't want anything to do with it but you were obliged to deal with it every single day? I hated my alarm.

I hated a lot of things in life, but the alarm had a special place.

Why did school have to start so early? 6:30 am was not a healthy time to wake up at, just saying. But I did wake up eventually. Eventually.

So I missed breakfast, big deal.

I went through my morning routine quicker than ever, but still didn't end up with enough time to eat.

I arrived to school minutes before the first bell.

As I was getting off the bus, I saw a car enter the parking lot. Out of it stepped Gavin and one of his friends, Davis. I looked a little beyond Gavin's fancy car and my face brightened up upon seeing André biking his way towards the bicycle rack locks. He was too pure for this world.

The day passed on, class after class, until the last bell of the day rang announcing that we're free to leave the prison. I was about to reach the exit doors when I was yanked by my arm.

"Where do you think you're going?" André asked, cocking an eyebrow.

"Home?" I answered with an obvious look.

"Oh no, no, no," he dragged me backwards, "You said you'll watch the game with me." Oh, shit. I forgot about the game. I thought he'd forget about it when it was its time, but I wasn't lucky enough.

"Is it today?" I asked, acting dumb, which I technically was, because why the hell did I promise him I'd watch a football game with him when I know nothing about football except for it being dudes chasing a ball?

He peered at me with a look that could melt rocks, and then I remembered that that's the look he used to get me to agree on attending the game.

"Ugh, fine. I'll watch the game with you." I didn't have the time to finish what I was saying before he was dragging me to the football field.

"We need to find good seats, hurry!" André yelled. He loved football way too much.

"It's not like it's the World Cup. Watch the stadium, if we can call it that, be half empty."

"You're no fun whatsoever." He grumbled as we reached the field located behind the school building.

Like I said, the bleachers were not even close to being half-full. I was going to be watching my first ever school football game after all, and I was not merely excited.