Chapter Twenty-Six

I had skipped school in favour of being here when Elena came home. I paced around the living room when I heard a car pulling in the driveway. My head turned to the door, waiting until it opened. I walked, opening the door, as I went to step, a hand gripped my upper arm. I cried out, feeling scared more then the pain of bruising. I turned to Jeremy.

"Ouch." I grabbed at his fingers, trying to pry them off me. there was a gun in his other hand, a finger barely touching the trigger. I scrunched up my face, feeling a little frightened of it. "Jer, let go." I said. He looked at me, the hunter was back. Great.

"Jordan? Jeremy?" came Elena's hesitant voice. I smiled at her and she looked a little relieved. Then her eyes went to Jeremy and I saw her face fall.

"Ignore him.....are you ok?" I quickly spoke.

Damon and Stefan were waiting on the grass.

"Yeah....I think so." She answered me a little unsure.

"Jeremy." I warned. Finally freeing myself from him. before he had a chance to grab me again, I threw myself at Elena. Her arms wound around me, her body feeling strong. "Man, I need to start working out." I whispered more to myself. Elena laughed, giving me a little squeeze. We kept on hugging until we heard Jeremy yell.

"GET AWAY FROM HER!"

I turned to see the gun aimed at Elena's heart. I scowled, standing in front of her, hands on my hips.

"Jer, she is our sister." I reasoned.

"She's one of them." he hissed.

The darkness that was around him was intense. I managed to start pulling what I could in. I could see the light in Jeremy's eyes returning and smiled at him.

"You good?" I asked.

He shook his head a little dazed, before lowering the gun and mumbling under his breath.

"Jeremy, you need to do it." I said reminding him. He looked torn, a battle happening inside. He nodded before he looked up and at Elena.

"You can come in." he said.

I stepped a side to allow Elena to walk inside. She did slowly, her eyes glancing at Jeremy nervously. I turned to Damon and Stefan, giving them a nod. They both nodded at me before heading back to the car. 

Elena and I sat in the living room, I made her a cup of tea, Jeremy also sitting with us. He refused to leave me alone with her, even though I promised I would siphon her if she tried to attack me, not that she would.

"What happened?" I asked.

"I was run off the road by Rebekah."

"What?" I choked out.

"Whickery bridge."

My eyes widened and I felt my heart shatter again. That was the bridge my parents had died on. Elena had been in the car with them, they were returning from picking her up from camp early. She had been sick and wanted to come home. That night was one of the worst nights of my life. I remember when Sheriff Forbes had come around to break the news. I had cried myself to sleep, Jeremy had stayed home just as broken as I was. We had spent the night in his room, not wanting to leave each other. I glanced up and gave Elena a nod to continue. I pushed down my memories before they could replay in my mind.

"She stood in the middle of the bridge, I tried to avoid her and ended up going over." She finished with a deep breath. I nodded, reaching out and taking her hand in mine. I squeezed it offering a little comfort. That bridge was one that brought our family nothing but pain.

"How are you feeling?" I asked, trying to shift the attention away from the bridge.

"Off. Everything feels heightened." She said slowly. I nodded; I couldn't really understand that. I just understood the off feeling. I looked down to our hands before pulling mine away quickly. I saw the look of hurt cross over her face.

"Siphon.... remember?" I smiled at her.

Understanding filled her eyes and then she nodded. I turned to Jeremy who had been far to quiet for my liking.

"Jer?"

"What?" he snapped. His eyes shifting to me. I flinched from the tone. It was becoming more evident now that I would have to get use to the tone. His eyes were hard before I saw a twinge of guilt pass through them. he was trying and I could see he was. I sighed, before shifting closer to him. he relaxed a fraction when I put more distance between Elena and I. I touched his arm.

"Everything is ok." I murmured to him. I kept my voice gentle and smiled when he glanced at me, before turning back to Elena.

He was fighting through the hunter instincts and I gave him a kiss to the cheek.

"She's our sister." I reminded him.

I turned to Elena who looked down at her hands, giving us a moment of privacy. I sighed.

"How about we take this slow? One day at a time." I looked between the two of them. Elena nodded. Jeremy just blinked. This was going to be a lot harder than it sounds.

The next day, I was downstairs, fixing up everyone's usual coffee. I hummed, cutting fruit up and enjoying the sun on my face.

"I miss that." Elena's voice scared me. I spun around, knife slicing into my hand.

"Oww." I cried, before turning back to the tap, running my hand under the cold water. There was a slight breeze before I felt Elena's hand wrap around my wrist. I watched the black veins appear around her eyes. I spilt second of fear washed through me before she reached over to grab the hand towel. A second later a loud pop was sounded. I watched Elena's eyes widened before she dropped to the ground. a wound in her stomach. She cried out in pain before another bang sounded. I flinched both times, the ringing in my ears, turning to see Jeremy glaring down.

"Jeremy?" I asked weakly.

I turned to Elena before making a strangled sound. Elena had a bullet in her head.

I touched her face, feeling tears wash down my cheeks.

"No no no no no no no, Elena?" I touched my fingers to her neck, no pulse. I turned to Jeremy with tears running down my face.

"What did you do?" I asked.

"She's not dead.....yet." he pulled out a wooden stake from behind himself. I felt relief before my brain moved into gear. I stood in front of Elena.

"You're not doing this. She is our sister Jer."

"She is one of them. She was going to hurt you."

"No, she wasn't" I shook my head.

"Her eyes had the veins." He argued.

"She would never hurt me or you, Jer. She is stronger than that."

"We are leaving." Jeremy said stalking over. He grabbed my arm and started to drag me. I yanked my arm hard, trying to break his grasp.

"I'm not leaving her like this." I cried.

"Jordan? Jeremy?" Stefan's voice came from the front. Jeremy had his gun at the ready as Stefan walked into our kitchen. His eyes scanned the scene. Jeremy's gun pointed at him, ready to fire.

"What happened?" Stefan asked, suddenly kneeling beside Elena's body.

"I cut myself.....she wasn't going to hurt me." I pleaded.

Stefan nodded, understanding. Jeremy was pulling me out, she pushed me into his truck before jumping in. tears streamed down my face as I felt guilt tearing into me. we drove off, leaving Elena behind.