10

Will's POV

Small towns meant easier classes because of poor funding, but smaller classes. By third period everyone had heard that Will Byers was back. And by lunch the word 'zombie-boy' was flung at me from girl and boy alike.

Leave it to Hawkins to not be creative enough to find another nickname for me. I suppose I didn't really want another one, I was used to zombie-boy.

"Your mom pack you a lunch?" Dustin had joined my walk to the cafeteria.

I nodded, "yeah, it's right here in my--" my backpack was unzipped and displayed nothing but books, folders, and notebooks. No lunch.

Dustin patted my shoulder reassuringly, "you can just join the lunch line with me, or maybe share with a party member. We don't really mind. Except Mike, he doesn't share often."

I returned his friendly smiled then looked towards the lunch line.

It was packed, and an unsavory odor was emitting from the cafeteria.

"Um..." I looked back at Dustin, "I'll just share with a party member."

"Ok!" Then he skipped off to the line, obviously not wanting to waste anytime and get stuck with a measly waxed apple for lunch.

I looked for my friends and found them seated to my left. I took up a seat next to El and Max, which Max didn't seem to thrilled about. Me and her never really hit it off though, we kind of just exist around each other. I wanted to sit with El and I had figured it was better to go in-between her and Max rather than her and Mike.

"No lunch?" El asked, pointing to my empty hands. She was frowning and looking for my body language to tell her what was going on with me. She seemed to think I was in distress.

I shook my head, "I forgot to grab it this morning."

She started to dig through her bag and her frown deepened. "I only have an orange left, if you want it?" she held the fruit out to me.

"Are you sure you don't want it?"

El shook her head, "I'm already full," she assured, "it's yours."

"Thanks!" I took the orange and started peeling it.

Then Mike leaned forward to make eye contact with me. "You can have the other half of my sandwich Will," he offered.

I remembered what Dustin had told me and tried to push the warm feelings caused from his kind and caring self away. Mike was probably just trying to impress El.

So I shook my head, "you don't like sharing food."

"I'm not that hungry," he shrugged and pushed the half of sandwich closer to me.

I eyed it up, my mouth watering at the combination Mike had put together.

"Thank you Mike," I said softly and picked up the sandwich. It was a sweet gesture, and I appreciated it. Mike just went back to munching on his half of the sandwich and drifting into his own thoughts.

"SO anyway," Max said and leaned almost in front of me, "I was talking about how much your look has changed since you were last here."

Max and El continued to converse gleefully as I joyfully filled my stomach with orange slices and a half of a sandwich.

And then Lucas and Dustin sat down.

----

Updates are gonna be hard these upcoming days cause I will be out of town...