Chapter 11: Hate Him

I love thee with a love that shall not die

Till the sun grows cold and the stars grow old.

J A M E S 

Annabeth wanted a fucking Caramel Frappuccino.

I told her that she had a caramel addiction because she couldn't go a day without drinking some version of a caramel coffee and that it was completely unnecessary.

But naturally, she batted her eyelashes at me, looked at me with those stupid pretty big eyes, and for a single moment, I turned into a weak bitch. I was still kicking myself for that exact moment.

So, very unwillingly, and only since we had time till homeroom, I decided that a pit stop at The Coffee Shop wouldn't hurt.

The line was crawling, very slowly much to my annoyance. We had waited a whole fifteen minutes and there was still another person in front of us, ordering the whole damn menu.

Bored, my eyes scan the people in the shop, which was nearly empty despite the growing line. 

It was a quaint, vintage little thing- so I could see the whole appeal with why people chose to come here. Vintage academia aesthetic, Annabeth would say.

A flash of somewhat familiar dark, graying hair makes me pause.

I stare in that direction for a whole five seconds to make sure I was seeing things right. The man tilts his head to the side with a laugh as he wraps an arm around the blonde woman next to him.

A very pregnant blonde woman.

The recognition takes some time to slowly sink in. First, my mind blanks- and I can only feel numb.

Then, the anger hits.

Hot, white searing rage. A part of me even feels physically sick.

I grit my jaw, turning away.

My fingers wrap around Annabeth's arm.

"We're leaving," I say tightly, giving it a tug.

"What?" her eyes got big, "Why? We waited a whole fifteen minutes, there's only one more person in fr-"

"Right now," my voice sounds harsher and more impatient this time.

She pauses.

Her eyes switch between both of mine, and a little furrow appears in her eyebrows.

It was getting exceedingly harder to keep the blank, cool expression in place- but there must have been something on my face because, after a long moment, she nods slowly.

"Okay, never mind," she says softly, her eyes never leaving mine, "We can go. Is everything okay?"

No, it isn't. I don't say that out loud though, just tugging her arm along- out of The Coffee Shop, and in the direction of the school.