CHAPTER 28

My mom engulfed me in a big hug. She squeezed me tightly before letting go.
I could only laugh. Seeing the scene you would think I just won the lottery.

"Are you happy?" She asked releasing me. Her attention was on my face, she was prepared to catch any flicker of emotion. Thank goodness I am all cried out.

"Of course I'm happy Ma." I announced happily.

"That's all that matters nwam. I am so happy for you, my strong daughter." She hugged me again. I knew my mom wanted to cry.

"Don't cry" my voice shook. If my mom cries, I'll cry too.

"I know you loved that man unconditionally unfortunately he was not worthy to receive such depth of love. Let me tell you today my daughter, you are the best thing that ever happened to Barry and he was stupid enough not to realise it. He had gold yet he went after pyrite. That's on him not you. It's his loss. His not yours"
She quickly wiped the tears that rolled down her eyes and hugged me.

My mom was right. I held her and cried too. So much for being all cried out.

"Thank God you survived this marriage oh. Many women don't leave toxic marriages unscathed. Do you know the emotional battle and psychological battle you just overcame?"

I didn't know this divorce was such a big deal to my mom. To her it wasn't just about leaving Barry, it was way more than that.

"Let's stop crying. You have returned victorious, let's celebrate" my mom interrupted our crying fest.

"Where is Mariana?"

"Here" Mariana raced down the stairs and jumped into my arms. I kissed her all over and she giggled happily.

"Did we wake you?" I asked setting her down. She gave a nod but didn't dwell on it she had her own question.

"Do I get my new daddy now?" She was too excited to stand still. If it was possible to just show her a new father, the girl would have exploded from happiness.

Not to burst her bubble, my mom and I gave an excited 'yes' response.

"Let me get champagne and apple juice" my mom hurried into the kitchen to get the drinks.

"Turn on some music" my mom ordered from the kitchen.

"Alexa play Jerusalem by master KG"

It was my favourite song at the moment.

The minute the song came on Melissa started hopping around giggling.

My mom brought our drinks and handed it to us. she was also moving to the beat. Their excitement excited me. I started dancing too.

My legwork skill sucks but in that moment I didn't care, I was dancing with my family.