Chapter 19

Krey sniffed at Pip who sat by the base of a tree, trembling on the woodland floor. Krey wished to stay in his wolf form. He wanted to lie next to Pip and comfort him until he calmed down. Krey worried he might faint; Pip's skin had paled dramatically.

Krey was a huge wolf who terrified other humans to the point where they lost control of their bladder because of his snarling and barking. Pip must worry that Krey would turn on him any minute, and Krey didn't blame him. If he were a defenceless human with no knowledge of werewolves existing, he would have run for his life.

He wanted to tell Pip to trust him, but how could Krey ask for such a thing? Wolves didn't exist in England. To humans, Wolves didn't live in the United Kingdom. Krey shouldn't be in a small town in the north of England, roaming the woods and staring into little Pippor's blue eyes.

Red eyes lowered to the ground. As time went on, Pip was in more and more danger the longer Krey kept him a secret. Exposing his wolf form was a step closer to Pip knowing about who Krey really was, though Krey reminded himself that Pip needed to move at a slower pace.

Tears still streamed down Pip's face. His pace was as slow as a snail, and Krey had no choice but to tiptoe behind him, making sure not to step on him and crush his protective shell.

Krey started backing away. His heart broke when Pip looked relieved.

One day, Krey thought. One day he'll love me for who I am.

Krey tore his eyes away and sprinted down the path. Leaving Pip was like trying to run with paws pulling on elastic bands that hurt the further away he travelled.

He sniffed out Pip's yellow puffer Jacket and carried it in his mouth. His scent drove Krey wild as he ventured off the path to find a safe place to shift back.

When he was in his human form, Krey stood and stretched. A bone in his back cracked and he stretched his arms above his head. He picked Pip's coat back up and jogged in the direction he came, hoping Pip was still by the tree.

Pip was still where Krey left him, but now on his feet and holding his stomach as though he was about to be sick.

"Pip," Krey said, and the human leapt almost a foot in the hair. Pip spun, pinning his back to the bark.

He relaxed when he saw a familiar face. Pip was relieved to see Krey's human side and his wolf whined within, wanting the same acceptance.

"Are you okay?" Krey asked. His hand ached to dry Pip's wet cheeks. He gripped Pip's coat tightly to stop himself. Krey hated to see him upset.

Pip clutched the trunk of the tree like he couldn't stand without assistance. "K-Krey," he stuttered, turning away from him and breathing deeply.

Krey wanted Pip to tell him everything that happened, but it seemed they were not close enough yet because Pip sucked his emotions in the best he could.

"I'm okay," Pip breathed. "I just... a-a sickness came over me all of a sudden."

Why won't he tell me about the wolf? Is he worried I won't believe him? Krey stepped through the frozen mud, crunching leaves under his big boots. "Is this your coat?" He held it in front of him, wanting Pip to approach him so Krey didn't seem too eager.

Pip nodded.

"Why was it on the path back there?" Krey's deep voice was soft in the quiet forest.

"W-Why are you in the woods?"

Pip was rooted to the ground, so Krey moved closer and gave him back his jacket. Pip put it on immediately and zipped it up to his chin. He dug hands in his pockets, glancing nervously around.