CHAPTER SIX

SIX | TEMERIA

Despite Filavandrel's attempt, he was convinced by his comrade—Torque—to let the trio go

Despite Filavandrel's attempt, he was convinced by his comrade—Torque—to let the trio go. Caira finally fully recovered on their ride out of Posada, returning to her normal state—unlike how she was only hours ago when she was a woman of few words. "Kill me. I'm ready." Jaskier mocked Geralt's bravery that essentially saved them from the elves. "That's the conclusion? They just let us go, and you give all of Nettly's coin to the elves."

"Filavandrel's lute not gift enough for you?" Geralt seemed annoyed by Jaskier's arrogance.

"Yeah, she is a bit sexy, isn't she?" Jaskier admired the new lute he received after his was destroyed. "I do have respect for Filavandrel. He survived the Great Cleansing once. Who knows? Maybe he can do it again. Be reborn." Jaskier spoke, then began to sing the retelling of the story they had just experienced.

"Will the elf king heed
What the Witcher entreats?
Is history a wheel
Doomed to repeat?
No, that's...that's shit." Jaskier sighed at his terrible song.

"This is where part ways, bard, for good." Geralt told Jaskier.

"I promised to change the public's tune about you. At least allow me to try. What about Caira?" Jaskier inquired.

"What about her?" Geralt side eyed the silent girl.

"Will she be continuing her journey with you?" Jaskier asked.

Caira furrowed her brows at Geralt, assuming they'd part ways and stay out of each other's paths from then on. But, she was surprised to hear Geralt's response. "I still have to fulfill our deal we made. We kill a bounty and split the rewards 30, 70." Geralt shrugged.

"Where are we going next, then, Witcher?" Caira withheld her small smile.

"Not sure yet."

* * *

Geralt and Caira quickly found a place to stay in Posada by nightfall and had been staying there for three nights since they couldn't find much work around the town. Caira was wandering the town at night when she overheard some townspeople whispering about Geralt being in Posada. "You heard there's a witcher in town?"

"Yeah, I heard one of his kind took money for a job and vanished in Temeria. What scum."

"Isn't that the other witcher that passed through here not too long ago? What was him name...? Remus!"

Caira quit eavesdropping and rushed back to the inn where she and Geralt were staying. Without knocking, she slammed open the door and slammed it shut behind her. She took notice of a prostitute laying nude in bed with Geralt, who was visibly sweaty and appropriately covered with a sheet. Caira disregarded the prostitute, who let out a small yelp and covered herself with the sheets, and took a seat at the foot of the bed—eager to tell Geralt of the other witcher in Temeria. "Caira..." Geralt awkwardly spoke, glancing over at the prostitute which Caira was ignoring.