Chapter Thirty

Bendy's POV

Charlie said... he said that he...

It hurt me a lot, enough for my artificial heart to ache. But I didn't blame him... all I ever do is ruin things. It's my fault Charlie got mixed up in all this.

I didn't want to scare him or leave him crying the way he was, I wanted to hold him like I did the other night. To have him fall asleep in my arms again, I'd kill for that. I just wanted him to be happy again...

"Gosh, am I excited!" Oswald was saying. "I haven't been up here in quite some time! Golly, you smell that? The food must be delish! We'll have to spare all the chefs,"

"Uh-Huh..."

We were hiding out behind one of the restaurants in Animal Kingdom, within all the trees that stood behind it. Hearing the chatter of the people and the joyful music from the attractions didn't make me as happy as they did before.

"Bendy, pal? Are you ok?" Oswald asked.

I frowned and looked away. I didn't want to be mad at him...

"Oh... is this about Charlie?" Oswald sat in front of me, "I figured... I can't lie to ya, seeing the poor kid like that broke me too. But hey, he's technically safer underground. We wouldn't want him getting caught up in any ink, right?"

"Mickey was right about me... I can't make people happy, I'm too dangerous..."

"Huh? No way! My lil' brother doesn't know what he's talking about!"

I hugged myself and dropped my head.

"You saw what happened...! I let my anger get the better of me! I almost killed that poor guy and I scared Charlie! I'll never make people happy like this..."

   "Bendy..."

   Oswald sat closer to me so he could wrap an arm around me. I leaned into his embrace. I don't want to cry now, who knows what'll happen...

   "I promise you, once we do what we have to do, I'll make sure your creation is complete. You and all your friends. You'll all be able to make people happy again, just like in the 30s..."

   I glanced up at Oswald to see the soft look he was giving me. I've missed him so so much... but...

   I drew back and stood up, stuffing my hands in my, kinda nonexistent, pockets.

   "I-I never asked how Ortensia was doing..."

   "Huh? Oh! Oh yeah, she's fine... spends most of her time in the Hollywood Studios Park tunnels. Loves the idea of acting again, ya know?"

   "She know what we're up to?"

   "Heck, she gave me the idea for this!" Oswald jumped back up to his feet. "Anyway, we should probably hurry, park's closin' in a few hours!"

   "What are we doing again...?"

   "Well, Charlie boy had to get his smarts from somewhere, right? His father is a certified genius himself! Best damn imagineer we got!"

   I felt like my heart sank. We're we going to kidnap James too? Oh, but he already put so much trust in me!

   "What does he have to do with anything?" I asked, a little nervous.

   "Well, of course we're still gonna open the parks to the public. Can't disappoint the kids! James can make sure everything's still running smoothly!"

"How exactly do you plan on doing that—!"

   Oswald finally took out that necklace Dr. Facilier gave me and put it on. He disappeared and Charlie stood in his place.

   "WHOAAA WHAT THE F—!"

   "Bendy, Bendy, Bendy! Calm down! I'm not actually Charlie! It's voodoo magic!" he said in Oswald's voice. "With Charlie's blood in this necklace, I can look just like him! Long enough to fool his pops at least!"

   I stared at him wide eyed and panting heavily. He gave much such a startle, my heart almost jumped right out my chest. I soaked up the leaking ink and folded my arms.

   "Y-Ya could'a told me that beforehand!" I said.

   "I'm sorry, pal! Now let's get going!"

   Oswald began to head out the trees and out from our hiding place. With a funny feeling in my stomach, I changed myself to look like a child and followed him. Oswald looked exactly like Charlie, as if I was walking with the sweet boy himself. Though this was nothing like our time together. We weren't two kids running and laughing hand-in-hand on a little adventure. We were two toons about to kidnap a poor, innocent man.

   "Bendy?"

Oswald was looking back at me—Charlie's big, innocent green eyes were looking at me.

I couldn't stop myself from dropping my head.

"Oh, Bendy... you know what? I can do this on my own! How's about you go and find something fun to do? I can send someone to find ya when I'm ready!" Oswald said.

"Are you sure...?"

"Of course, pal! Go treat yourself! I got this!"

Oswald turned, about to run off, and immediately tripped and fell on his face. He got back up with a big grin.

   "I got this!" he said again.

   I snickered as he went running. Same old Ozzie. I didn't really know what to do that I would enjoy. Charlie was the one leading me around, showing me the things that made him happy...

Not exactly comfortable with looking like I was lost, I slipped behind a corner to quickly change my form to an adult before wandering off alone.

The crowds were getting smaller as the night creeped up. With nothing better to do, I just sat on a bench and watched everyone go by.

All those precious little kids, holding their parents hands and laughing, pointing out the rides they wanted to go on, dressed up as their favorite characters, dirtying their faces with ice cream and candy, smiling happily without a care in the world.

It was enough for me to feel content.

   'Henry... if only you could be here with me...'