Chapter Eighteen

Ren and Ryuji found Yuuki in the campus parking lot. The younger boy was pacing back and forth while muttering to himself, looking more than distraught.

    "Amamiya!" Yuuki almost hugged him but stopped himself. "Ah—sorry, I'm sorry... shit has gotten so bad..."

    "Did you find out more about the chemical infection?" Ren asked.

    "I did! I did and it's not good at all! I saw someone die earlier, Amamiya. It was so scary, Akechi was vomiting all this blood and his heart looked like it was gonna rip out his chest...!"

    Ren's went wide. Goro was dead? Guilt was suddenly hitting him in the chest. They weren't even good friends yet Ren felt terrible for the things he thought about Goro.

    "So this disease is fatal...?" Ryuji said.

    "Yeah... wait, aren't you sick? Amamiya said you had symptoms!" Yuuki was panicking and getting louder. Ren stepped to his side and grabbed his arms, forcing the boy to look at him.

    "Chill out! It's ok, he isn't freaking out like everyone else!"

    "What are you even talking about?!"

    Ren huffed. "I'll explain it later. You said you were working with the nurse, can the chemical be removed from the body or something?" he asked.

    "I'm don't know yet! The chemical infuses with the victims bloodstream, in order to fix it I'd have to find out if there's another chemical that can destroy the bad one and make a vaccine! Wait..."

    Yuuki's brows knitted together, going deep in thought.

    "I can do that... "

    Yuuki turned to Ryuji. The blond jammed his hands in his front pockets and shifted in his place, the look on Yuuki's face making him nervous.

    "Yes! After all, this is just a few diseases mixed together! Sakamoto, you can be my test subject! Will you do it?"

Ren's face paled. He grabbed Ryuji's hand.

   "Uh... I guess—"

    "Great!" Yuuki didn't wait for a response. "The dorm might not be safe so meet me in the science lab in Building Four, room 118, in two hours, got it? I'll see you guys later!"

    Ren didn't like the way Yuuki smiled as he ran off back to the campus grounds. Was this all one big game to him? Ryuji's fucking life was on the line and the boy was grinning like a kid at Christmas!

    "Ryuji, are you sure about this...?"

    "It's fine, RenRen..."

    "Ryuji, no! You don't have to do something you don't want to do, I can take you to the hospital! We can go right now!"

    Ren tugged at Ryuji's arm in a desperate attempt. This disease drove Yusuke, one of his best friends, crazy. This disease was fucking fatal. And what would even happen if they went along with Yuuki's plan? How long would making a cure take? What if Ryuji's condition got even worse as a test subject? Ren's chest tightened.

    "Are you crying? Ren, don't cry!"

    Ryuji cupped Ren's cheeks when tears began to roll down his reddened, scrunched you face. The noiret turned away and rubbed his face with his arms.

   "What am I supposed to do if you die...? What the fuck do I do...?"

    Ryuji's face fell. All he could do there was pull Ren to his chest and hug him close as he cried. Their relationship was off to a rough start, and it was hurting the both of them. Ryuji looked back the school gate, biting his slightly bleeding lip. His breathing was picking up and that burning feeling was crawling in his skin again. But once he shut his eyes and buried his nose in Ren's black hair, breathing in the sweet scent, it felt like the pain didn't matter.