baby's first birthday (requested)

You stretched your legs out and kicked off the covers. Today is your little girl's first birthday and it wasn't all that surprising when you woke up just a few minutes ago to an empty bed.

You could hear Hailee before you even got to Grace's room. "Happy birthday to you..." She trailed off, singing to the little girl that was against her chest.

Hailee has always been such a great mom. She's been by your side every step of the way. Her heart has grown even bigger, space completely filled with love for you and Grace. And most mornings, you find her awake already - either singing to Grace or playing with her on the floor. She's the most wonderful mother you've ever seen.

"Good morning." She said when she turned around and saw you standing in the doorway. Your daughter let out a giggle and reached out for you as you stepped closer. "I can't believe she's really a year old today," Hailee said as she rubbed your back and stared at both of you with love and adoration.

"Me neither. Happy birthday, my little lovebug." You kissed Grace's head and she giggled.

"I'm gonna go downstairs and make us some breakfast and then we can set up for the party tonight." You nodded and felt her kiss your cheek before she left the room, giving you and Grace a few minutes of bonding time.

"Happy birthday." You kissed across her face and smiled at the sound of her laugh echoing across the bedroom. It didn't feel real when you looked at her. your little girl was growing up quickly.

And even though she's only a year old and still relies on you and Hailee for everything, the thought of more years coming and going like this one made you feel like crying.

Looking back at everything that had happened exactly one year ago, and a little before. The little girl in your arms looked just like Hailee but had your personality hands down. She was the brightest little girl, always so cheery and so loveable. She's gonna be your little partner in crime, you can already tell.

"Stop growing up so fast." You said as you kissed her head and let her curl up against you. You sat down and put your head back against the chair and closed your eyes, thinking about all the things your little girl could be in time.

You weren't gonna decide for her; that's already something you and Hailee had a long talk about. You want her to do her own thing and follow her own heart and her own dreams. No matter what she becomes, you'll both be there supporting her through it all.

You felt a tap on your shoulder and when you opened your eyes you saw Hailee kneeling on the floor next to you. "I thought you fell back asleep." You sighed contently, looking down at your little girl that was sleeping against your chest. "No. Just thinking." Hailee nodded and stared at your sleepy girl with pure joy.

The day passed by quickly and before you knew it, both of your families and close friends all stood in the living room. The lights were dimmed, the candles were on the cake, and your little girl sat excitedly in your lap at the table.

She's been spoiled with lots of love, hugs, and kisses today. You didn't mind. That's really all you ever want for her.

"Look what I've got!" Hailee cheered as she brought the lighter to the table and started to light the candles. Your daughter was mesmerized by the light but didn't dare reach out to touch it. She looked back at you with a smile, one that melts your heart every time.

Everyone started to sing happy birthday and Hailee stood behind you, her arms wrapped around you while everyone watched your little girl in awe and snapped photos and videos of the special moment.

"Happy birthday!" Hailee cheered and leaned down to kiss Grace's face. You both helped her blow out the candles and when they were all out she clapped along with everyone.

You grabbed a piece of the cake and put it in front of her. But, just like all one-year-olds, she didn't exactly eat it. Instead, she got it all over her little hands and face. Everyone laughed and continued to capture the moment while Hailee stood by you, her heart growing a little more at that moment.

And hours later, when things became late and Grace became cranky, you put her to bed and everyone started to leave.

You cleaned up the kitchen, throwing away all the plastic silverware and putting all the dishes in the sink.

You felt an arm wrap around you before lips touched your cheek. "Well, year one was magical. How excited are you for year two?" You groaned and turned off the faucet, turning around in her arms. "Don't mention two. One is already hard enough." She laughed and started to twirl your hair around your fingers.

"I'm gonna go check on Grace. Do you need any help?" You shook your head and she gave you a kiss on your cheek before going upstairs to check on Grace.

She was sound asleep when Hailee entered the room. Her little hands clutched her sheet that she laid on, her blanket was slipping down to her legs.

Hailee pulled it up and over Grace and brushed her fingers through the little curls that she had on her head. "My baby... you've gotta stop growing up, okay? I love you but this is too fast for me." She teased, tears in her eyes when she thought about how much she truly loves her daughter and how fast she's growing.

You stood at the doorway again, just watching the beautiful moment with a big grin on your face. You heard Hailee start to sing happy birthday to her again and it was truly a moment you never wanted to forget.