Chapter 29 - The Escape

I sat in the little diner just outside of town, my arms sticking to the table, rust covering the metal lining, the fake leather seats cracked from wear and tear. There weren't many people in here so it was a good place to meet; the meeting would start when the moon was at it's highest point which wasn't for another few hours so I still had time. Holden ran off as soon as we finished in the clearing, the Alpha had some jobs for him to do before the meeting that I would no longer be attending. I started running over different scenarios in my head, possible ways of getting Keith out alive and keep what I had done from the pack, but whether I could or not, Keith was being released tonight.

The door bell announced another arrival to this rundown little diner that people only ever ventured too for secret meetings and dodgy deals. Taylor stepped through first, he looked different, older, more worn, he had new scars, bruises, the ones on his body hidden behind a jacket and jeans. Behind him was Eric, Keith's older brother and one I owed, both looked like they had been dragged through the mud then left out all night. It didn't take long for them to find me and then do another scan for any potential witnesses or danger, Taylor never needed to do that before, when he lived in as the son of a hunter and not a hunter himself.

They walked over and slid into the seat opposite me, I sat my hands on the table despite the stickiness that seemed to be a permanent fixture on the top. They did the same, they're faces screwing up in disgust as they felt the same thing I did.

"Why did you ask Taylor to bring me here?" Eric's tone was lowered and hush, he bent his head slightly, his eyes constantly flicking, not willing to make eye contact.

"I'm getting your brother out tonight" that seemed to settle him enough, his eyes connecting with mine, "I had no way to get a hold of you to let you know where to meet him so I contacted Taylor" I looked at Taylor who kept his eyes lowered to the table.

"How are you getting him out?" I could hear the anxiousness that now laced his words, his leg started to shake up and down.

"I had a plan that has now had to be changed thanks to my Alpha, it would have helped me not be implicated in his escape, however, I have had to improvise and I will almost certainly be exposed but it is happening tonight when the moon is at it's highest peak".

"Why?" I looked at Taylor who had spoken, he lifted his eyes from the table to look at me, "Why risk yourself for a hunter? You could die Lily" I could see that Taylor still cared about me and I cared for him too but we were both on opposite sides of this war, those feelings would have to be pushed away.

"You kept me alive in that bunker, you kept me awake, I owe you for that; Eric he let Amber and I escape, so I owe him for that and I promised to get Keith out of our lock up in exchange for our freedom. I have a debt to repay that is all" he sat there, his fingers drumming on the table,

"So why tonight then?" he asked and I hesitated, I couldn't give them any information that may help them or give them an advantage.

"You and I may have been friends once" his eyes hardened, had I struck a nerve? "but we are enemies in this war and I can't give you any information" I turned my attention back Eric,

"At high moon, meet us at the river crossing, the water will drown out his scent so the wolves won't be able to track him down once they realise he's escaped" Eric gives me a nod and I slide out of the booth, walking towards the door I don't look back. Outside the air is clear, the sun had set from the time I had arrived to now, I needed to prepare.

***

Cole stormed into the house, the door banging behind him before Amber reopened and followed him inside. He was seething, I could tell from his bare fangs and his claws were appearing.