Chapter 26: Reflection

"I'm not sure I understood."

Lanying shook her head upon listening to the woman's words. However, it was not because she didn't understand her words, it was because hearing that her past personality was fake had given her confusion and denial.

"So you're saying that everything I've been through in the last life until now could've been different if the seal on my soul was released earlier? So I didn't have to die for a second life chance all this time?!"

Ridiculous.

"I know it seems ridiculous but there's a reason why there's a redo in this part of life. You have heard of the Black Tortoise Sect haven't you? Who do you think the one controlling Yang Le's people and himself to be in control over you? So no matter how much Yang Peng and Yang Tian tried to keep you safe it wouldn't work out to no end?"

Lanying closed her eyes for a moment and sighs deeply. How could her sealed personality overlook the fact that she was being a target all this time? Perhaps being blinded so much in love dulled away her intelligence in an obsessive level.

"The sect leader. . .used Yang Le to keep me under control when I became Empress. I didn't give a second thought of wondering where Xingxing and Yin Long went until I found out the Yin family was executed. Qiao Chi and Qiao Na were missing and soon also died, giving me two maidservants who were under Yang Le's orders to watch my every move."

She opens her eyes to stare across the moonlit river surrounded by crystal flora. Everything that transpired so far in her last life and this current life, it all became a reflection of her thoughts about them. The delicate beauty didn't dare use her brain before but now she knows it was too inconsiderate to do so. Something like this shouldn't be thoughtless to go through.

"As my emotions began to waver. . .so did my heart that broke little by little overtime, making so the chains of the seal become unhinged slowly and slowly. Yet I didn't notice that once my attitude has changed slightly, the Black Tortoise Sect would try to keep me grounded once more in order for the seal to stop unraveling."

As Lanying recalls various memories, an aura of blue, transparent chains that wrapped around her constellation began to break.

CHING!!

"Having known too late that Yang Peng was executed and that Yang Tian was the one who got killed by the archers because he was helping me escape, and all I did was place hopes in a hopeless love that caused my end. . .why was I so foolish then? I should've chose Yang Peng and have my eyes on him instead of someone who never loved me in return."

CHING!!!

"It could've been better if I had fought back for my freedom. . .but I would have no one else by my side anymore. What use is that when all the people close to me die because of my existence? Having known that, it was better to end my life after all to not leave them behind in the afterlife."

"Is that so?"

"Yes, I-"

Before Lanying could speak any more, the beautiful white-haired woman embraced her warmly, confusing and surprising the girl speechlessly.

"You've suffered a lot, Lanying."

Releasing her hold on her, the butterfly-eyed woman held her shoulders gently with a serious expression on her face.

"I'll be here in the sword if you need me because I'm afraid you might have to go through more sufferings, and you would need to have comfort somewhere other than where you're staying."

"If more sufferings are coming then I'll do my best to get through them all." Lanying gave her a reassured smile and finally thought of the question from the back of her mind.

"Ah, that's right. I didn't even ask you for your name at first despite our conversation, which I was glad to talk with you about." The girl coughs awkwardly. "I can see that you care about me to a great degree and even helped me reflect on my poor actions in the previous life. . .I thank you for that, Miss."

"Lingling. Call me Lingling."