38. Gaining Strength

"Excuse me, Lady Cyllia. You may go in to see him now," said a medical assistant to me at the Royal Institute of Medicine in Silverbell's capital.

It was weird hearing someone refer to me formally with my last name.

But I was always reminded of my social status whenever I went to the capital.

"I thank you dearly, sir. But may I ask...How my companion is faring?" I asked politely while using words that only a noble lady like me would use in public.

"Of course...in response to your inquiry...Your companion is faring well. He has no obvious physical injuries. However..." the medical assistant tried to say before he trailed off.

"Please continue, good sir...I wish to know what has become of him..." I pleaded politely.

"Your companion...seems to have lost any trace of his memories throughout his life...No matter the treatment we have attempted to carry out...his memories don't seem close to returning..." he continued with a sympathetic look on his face.

"I...see..." I said slowly as my heart sank.

...What...will happen...now...?

"His room is down the hall and is the sixteenth to the right...Do you wish for me to escort you there...Lady Cyllia...?" he asked calmly.

"No...it is fine...I believe I have sufficient capabilities to find my way there...Thank you, good sir, for treating me so kindly," I said with a small curtsy before leaving him.

My throat was tight and my eyes felt a little blurry.

...Why do I feel like everything bad is always happening to me..?

Mattius just died a little over three months ago...and I was barely about to get better...

And then now Ace loses his memories...?

One thing after the next...How much am I going to have to go through before this world is satisfied...?

1...2...3...7...9...11...14...15...

I counted the rooms on the right side of the hall before I stopped at the sixteenth one.

There was a small nameplate on the front of the door that was engraved with the words: "Patient #18537 - Ace."

I took a small breather before I wiped away any tears that might have been hanging out in my eyes...and then calmed myself down mentally...before opening the door in front of me.

Sunlight peeked in through the open windows and a small breeze could be felt blowing in.

On the white bed, centered perfectly in the middle of the back wall, I could see the face of a person I couldn't recognize.

The guy in front of me had Ace's green eyes...dark silvery hair with his signature blue highlights...and his entire human body structure...but...

...but...

...He just wasn't Ace.

The Ace I knew would've recognized my face.

He would've asked me about my day...and then give me a soft smile when I talked about beating up the male leads...

He would've...he would've...he...would've...

...remembered me.

"...A-Are you alright...? You're crying..." Ace asked with an I-don't-know-what-to-do-about-this face.

Tears steadily rolled down my face as I looked at Ace, who just stared at me slightly speechless.

I quickly wiped the tears off of my face before it became too awkward.