112. A Whirlwind Proposal

A SPRINKLE OF red tainted Eoin's cheeks and forehead

A SPRINKLE OF red tainted Eoin's cheeks and forehead. His jaw clenched as his gaze flickered quickly over Ravenna's dress. "That color looks very nice on you," he remarked.

Ravenna smiled coolly and thanked him. She appreciated that his gaze didn't linger, like most men. It was kind of cute how much her appearance seemed to fluster him.

He offered his arm. "As I told you earlier, a feast is being held in our honor tonight. Have you attended one before?"

She looped her arm through his, shaking her head. "No, I haven't."

Eoin heaved a small sigh. "I hope you haven't had anything to eat for the last several days," he muttered under his breath as they stepped into the hall.

"Oh?" She arched an eyebrow at him.

He rolled his eyes toward the heavens. "It is quite extravagant," he explained. "Something that I find to be highly unnecessary. There are usually about seven courses, though it depends on the reasoning behind the ceremony."

Ravenna blinked. "Seven?"

Eoin nodded at her. "Usually. Though I have been served as many as twelve before."

"Twelve courses?" Shock bristled through her. She pressed her lips into a tight, wrinkled line. That much food could feed the entire kingdom.

"As I said, I find it highly unnecessary."

"Is all the food eaten?"

Another small sigh left Eoin's lips. He shook his head with a frown. "No, it isn't. I will be honest with you. It is nearly impossible to eat even one course completely."

Ravenna almost stopped walking. "What happens to the leftover food?" she asked quietly.

"It used to be disposed of. Once I inherited more responsibilities though, I was able to command that the cooks pass it out to the people in the streets," Eoin answered. "It helped some, but not much."

"There are a lot of hungry people in this world," she remarked, her gaze focused on the floor.

Eoin seemed to steady himself. The saddened emotion that plagued his features vanished, replaced with a steady smile. "We can dwell on those matters at a later time," he told her. "We will need to hurry or we will miss the first course."

She steeled her emotions, a forced smile appearing on her face. It bothered her that so much food was thrown out and wasted. It had been a while since she genuinely needed to eat, since she'd felt that gnawing ache of hunger. It hurt her heart to know that so many humans would go to sleep hungry that night, while she sat at a table overflowing with food.

There was nothing she could do about it, however. Not until her plan moved further along.

Eoin whisked her through the castle halls. As they moved closer to their desired location, the sound of jubilant music grew. It floated through the air, a melody of high pitched notes and singing bards. Servants rushed through the hall around them, carrying golden jugs of water and ale.