Fighting for a Village

A small girl wanders over rubbing her eyes. "Hey, sweetheart." "Is my daddy going to be okay?" Her bottom lip quivers, her tears ready to spill with the snap of a string. "Oh honey, come here." she cradles herself in my lap crying softly. "I promise you, all of you, your families will be just fine. The Mandalorian and Cara know what they're doing. Your dad will be safe I promise." She sniffs and looks up at me nodding her head.

"Is he tough?" "Who?" "Your Mandalorian." A little boy asks scooting near me. I smile at the young ones and slow my breathing. "Yes. He is very very tough. He will free your land of these monsters."

"How do you know?" The boy challenged me. I smile and wipe the hair out of his face. "Because he saved me from monsters too." The children begin to forget the war raging outside and cling to the stories of their hero.

"Is that how you met? Are you a princess?" I laugh shaking my head. "I was captured by some mean people. Mando came and rescued me, and if it wasn't for him. I wouldn't be here."

"Do you love him?"

My eyes widen as I process her question. I didn't love Mando.

No.

I simply found him irresistible most of the time.

"I think I-" Suddenly bombs shake the whole land making the children scream. I stand and look out the window seeing the chaos. Mando and Cara are crouched down behind a wall as the AT-ST fires at them.

They're not going to get out of this.

"You better listen to me."

I tap my foot impatiently. "What could happen. Nothing extremely horrible right? Right!"

I sprint out of the barn and towards the fight. I run to Mando scooping up his rifle and running towards the AT-ST.

"ARIA! STOP!" I slide on my knee and aim at the red-eye glaring at me. I pull the trigger and suddenly tackled into the water. I resurface to see Cara. The AT-ST falls into the water and transforms into a lost machine and the opponents run away abandoning the village in harmony.

I look over at Cara with my eyes narrowed. She only shrugs. "I was told to do it. Blame your boyfriend over there." She hoists herself out of the water and reached to help me. Mando walks over standing still. "I'm going to go over here," Cara says exempting herself from this awkward situation.

"Mando-" "You didn't listen."

"I know but-" "No. I told you to stay there."

"Did you see what I did? I helped when there was no chance of winning! All I did-" "YOU DIDN'T LISTEN." I twist my fist and punch Mando in the face. He falls to the ground and I place my foot on his chest. "You listen here. I'm not some glass ornament you need to put away. You needed my help and I gave it to you. Be grateful." I snear glaring at him. Mando huffs shoving my foot off of him and walking away holding my hand in pain. "Ah, yeah. Bad idea."

I watch him pick up the child and walk inside the barn. "Don't worry. I told him we needed you." "He so... so! Thick headed! Can you believe him?" Cara laughs shaking her head. "He'll be fine. Come on. We deserve a drink."

Cara pushed me to a porch pouring cup after cup of drinks laughing and talking. "He just wanted to protect you. I think he went overboard, but that's just me." I nod understanding. "I think I have to talk to him." Cara nods bidding me goodbye as I step inside the barn.

Mando sits at the table, empty plate in front of him and the child sleeping in his crib. I walk over and sit on the tabletop letting my legs swing hitting Mando's every so often.

I look at him and grin. "I'm sorry. I should have stayed." "No. You did the right thing. I was just being-" "Protective?" Mando agrees, sighing. He stands up grabbing my hand. "I am sorry, Aria."

I place my hands on his shoulders smiling at him. "Aw, Mando. You're just so sweet. So caring. Just a ball of joy." Mando shakes his head chuckling. "I get it."

He removes his gloves and traces my fingers one by one. "I need you... to trust me." His voice is quiet and almost shaky. "I do." Mando shakes his head. "I need you to put all your trust in me, Aria." I remove my hands slowly. "What are you going to do?"

Mando walks over to my sweater and takes the cotton belt tie off. "Something that will change everything, but I don't think I can help myself anymore." Mando places the cloth over my eyes tying it in the back.

~

I wave my hand in front of Aria's face making sure her sight was concealed. I take a deep breath before I remove my helmet and sets it next to her on the table. "What did you just set down?" Aria's hands brush over the cool metal knowing exactly what it was.

I place my bare hands on her cheeks moving closer to her. "Aria?"

"Yes?"

I kiss her forehead making Aria shutter nervously. I tilt her chin back smiling down at the women I've grown so fond of. "Thank you for helping."

I lean down connecting our lips, finally snapping the thin rope of tension. Aria windes her hands into my hair taking everything in. I rest one of my hands on her thigh and the other on the small of her back bearing her closer.

I groan and lift Aria off the table with force and moves us both upon the bed never breaking the kiss. A soft cry pulls the couple away from enjoying themselves. I look over and see the small green child watching us with worry and he soon starts to cry making Aria laugh.

I peck her lips once more before removing myself and recovering the helmet. I pick up the child and sets him in Aira's lap, taking her blindfold off.

She looks up and smiles at me. "Why?"

I grin, pinching her chin between my fingers lightly. "Maybe because you're a special case, Aria."

The three settle down and rest for the night in a safe place away from the cruel world against them.