24 | The One With The Lies

January 8, 2017

-S H R E E          P R A S A D-

Madhav took the trolley and walked down the dairy aisle of the supermarket. "Low fat milk or skimmed milk?" he ponders looking at the shopping list he wrote down in clear cursive handwriting. It's a Sunday morning and Madhav dragged my tired and sleepy ass from the bed. I am wearing a yellow shirt he picked for me along with a pair of baggy pants. "I wrote milk, but I haven't specified which."

You may think shopping is fun when you are married to a wealthy man. But it isn't! Madhav too has a shopping list and he sticks to a budget, instead of throwing everything he sees into his cart. My goodness, movies are so misleading.

"Can we get some chocolate full cream instead?"

"Chocolate milk isn't healthy for you. And neither is full cream." He says as he grabs a carton of low-fat milk. "This is healthy."

"What else do we need?" he murmurs as he walks, and I follow him. I drop a pack of frozen waffles into the shopping cart and he stops.

"Baby, if you want waffles then don't buy these frozen pieces of shit!" he says rolling his eyes. "I'll make you fresh ones. All we need is a few eggs, milk and some chocolate syrup."

He walks towards the meat section and I recognize a familiar looking lady walk pass him. It's Mrs. Verma, the principal of the school I'm teaching at currently. Madhav doesn't know. Every weekday when I leave at 6:00 AM to school I simply tell him that I am going to the mandhir or for cooking classes with Tanya Shukla: a famous celebrity chef.

Thankfully he's still in his pajamas- or rather the pair of khaki shorts he wears to bed- hence he never gets a chance to drop me. I have to walk from our penthouse apartment to the top of the lane to get the school bus that comes to pick me.

Whenever we are at the RK mansion, Yashoda Ma takes the sole responsibility of dropping me at school on her way to the mandhir. She's very supportive and is ready to take a bullet so I can continue working as a teacher.

Mrs. Verma smiles and walks towards me.

"How are you, Shree?" she asks smiling.

"I'm good, Mrs. Verma. Are you here to buy something-" I hold her hand and steer her from away from Madhav's direction. "I saw some really delicious paneer samples being given out shall we go check them out?"

"But darling I don't want to-" She protests. Yes, Ma'am I know you don't want to buy paneer, but I can't let Madhav see us together.

"Shree?" he calls from behind me and I turn in a second.

"Madhav!" I gasp aloud. "Look who I met! This is my-my-my school principal!"

"Nice to meet you Madam!" Madhav says shaking hands with Mrs. Verma. "I'm sure you must have had a difficult time with this little troublemaker."

"No! Not at all." Mrs. Verma said confused. He has no idea that she's referring to me as a teacher. Poor Madhav actually thinks she's the principal of the school I studied at. Hun, she's the principal of the school I am teaching at.

"Punishing this mischievous little one in front of the students, would have mended her ways."

Mrs. Verma was feeling uncomfortable now. She has no idea that Madhav doesn't know about my secret occupation.

"I think that's humiliating and inappropriate! She's a very dedicated and committed person"

"Ah! I see she has asked you to talk good things about her in front of me." Madhav says smiling that devilish smile. "It's alright Mrs. Verma, Shree and Ahaana would have been a very difficult pair to handle."