Ch 44: A New Start

I'm a big mess, and that's the last thing you need right now...

But this mess loves you endlessly.

~Unknown~

The first thing Adelaide did when returning to the castle was bathe Roland. He had fallen asleep on the trip back and was clinging so tightly to the front of her clothes that the fabric tore a little and wrinkled beneath his small hands.

It didn't take long for Adelaide to realized that Roland liked water. He'd splashed so enthusiastically in the bath that she was soaked just sitting next to him. She laughed at the happiness beginning to shine through his face and rubbed soap into his hair, more auburn than brown she realized, successfully washing away the dirt and blood that clung to him. What was left was a grinning, clean toddler who was already starting to look healthier than he had before.

Food was brought after the bath and Roland shoved it down so quickly Adelaide was afraid he'd choke or get sick. He squealed in delight at the taste of the porridge and downed a full vase of water, his face flushing with satisfaction.

The sight reminded Adelaide of her younger years when she would beg for help in the streets, scrounging for scraps here and there, anything to feed her herself. She stole clothes occasionally during the winter in order to stay warm, but during the summers lived by wearing dirty, old rags. Fighting illness alone was a given.

She shook the memory from her head and refocused her attention on Roland. He had finished eating, eyes blurry with sleep again. He moved towards Adelaide, climbing into her lap and snuggling against her chest. His stern grip returned as if terrified that he'd wake to find her gone.

Adelaide, coddling the child against her, headed down to the Hearing Hall, not wanting to separate herself from him.

The Hearing Hall was the summoning room, large and spacious with little to no furniture except for a few chairs. The fireplace that roared in the room kept the stone floor and walls well heated and comfortable. Adelaide arrived to find Jasper, Henry, Kayden and several other individuals occupying the space already, talking amongst themselves. Melissa turned her ancient eyes towards her as she entered and offered a small smile, her face beaming at the sight of the child. Emily, however, along with a few others, scowled at the addition.

"So this is the child," Jasper cooed, moving forward to see Roland. Such gentleness filtered into his eyes that Adelaide smiled. Jasper brought a hand over the boy's head, touching the soft hair and stroking. Roland smiled in his sleep.

Henry had already explained the circumstances that they'd found the child and had called a meeting to discuss what would happen to him. Adelaide had initially resisted the idea, arguing that she'd take care of him, but Henry had shaken his head. "You can't be two people and take care of him, Adelaide," he had said. Adelaide wanted to argue but knew he was right.

She hated when he was right.

"He's a cute child," Tracey commented, standing close to Theodore, a hand delicately placed on her stomach. She had found out she was pregnant only a short while ago, the bump finally beginning to show through the layers of her clothing.

"We don't have room for him," interjected Hugh Livingstone, one of Jasper's advisors. He was a rough man, someone Adelaide tried to avoid regularly. His pessimistic and distrustful nature made it hard to be around him without falling into depression. Hugh's son Walter silently agreed as he stood next to him looking grim and melancholy as well.

"It's one child," Adelaide retorted irritated, resisting the urge to roll her eyes. She readjusted Roland in her arms, the boy turning his face into the crook of her neck away from the others."How much room do you expect him to need?"