Chapter Forty-five

This chapter is dedicated to zoeybenny for leaving votes on this and my other story. Your support means the world, and you are very much appreciated. Thank you!! :)

I anxiously stir the soup I'm making

I anxiously stir the soup I'm making. I have never cooked before in my life, so I don't know how this is going to turn out. But I wanted to treat Liam to a cozy meal after the not so pleasant conversation we had. I googled the recipe for Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Soup. I'm not really a fan of soup, but I remember having this particular one at a restaurant in Paris once, and I loved it. Not that mine will ever come close. But still, so far, I'm not doing too bad.

I'm attempting to make caesar salad on the side too, but I don't know how well the dressing is going to turn out. I hopped into the kitchen and started cooking as soon as Liam stepped into the shower. He'll probably laugh when he sees me in here looking like a fish out of water, but I want to take care of him for a change. He wasn't exactly in a good mood when he woke up. Drinking his liver away in the middle of the day and pouring his secrets out wasn't exactly how he saw today going.

My phone vibrates on the countertop while I'm preparing the lettuce, and I pick it up.

"Hey, mom," I say, trying to balance the phone between my shoulder and my ear.

"Honey, how is it going? I thought you and Liam would come over today. It feels like I haven't seen you in forever." She says, and I feel a twinge of guilt.

"We would have come, but Liam wasn't feeling well. I'll be home for the rest of the week."

"What's wrong with Liam?" She asks, and I hear the concern in her voice.

"Nothing too serious. I'm making him chicken and mushroom soup." I tell her, and she chokes on whatever she was drinking.

"You're cooking? That can only mean one thing. The poor boy is going to sleep on an empty stomach."

"I am not completely useless, you know!" I huff. "Besides, that's what recipes are for. And I'm also making a caesar salad if you must know."

"Alright, alright." She laughs, but then her voice takes a serious note. "You need to be home tomorrow, Jess. It feels like you've already moved out, and I don't like how that feels. You'll be leaving for college soon." Her voice grows brittle, and I sigh.

"I know, mom. I'll see you tomorrow, I promise. Give the twins a kiss for me, okay?"

"Apparently, they are "too old" for kisses and cuddles now." She snorts. "I'll see you tomorrow, hun. Try not to burn the house down, will you?"

I roll my eyes.

"Yeah, yeah, byeeee!"

She chuckles.

"Love you."

"Love you too, mom."

I place my phone on the counter, and I get back to the lettuce. I am fully immersed in seasoning the dressing when strong arms wrap around my waist from behind. I jump a little, startled, but then I giggle when Liam nuzzles my neck. He smells fresh and delicious. I close my eyes and lean back into him, savoring his scent.