Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen:

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Addison's eyes trailed around the surrounding woods as she tightened the grip on her girlfriend's hand. She was glad that there was one more person she and Max could be open with. Addison just hoped that El listened to them when they told her not to tell Mike or anyone else. "I-I mean, what if he's there? That'd be scary. He wouldn't actually hurt us right? I-I mean, I know we have El, but what if he knocks her out? I don't know if this is a good idea-"

"We'll be fine, babe. But, yeah, it's gonna start pouring soon. We should be at the mall or like, watching a movie or something." Max agreed, looking up at the sky.

"You don't believe me?" Eleven tilted her head to the side.

"I believe youn saw some super weird stuff, totally!" Max said quickly. "But you said Mike has sensed you there before, right? So maybe it was just like that. Maybe Billy just.. sensed you.. somehow?"

"But the screams?"

"Yeah, yeah, I know. But here's the thing. When Billy is alone with a girl, they make like, really crazy noises." Max explained, causing Addison's face to flush a deep crimson color.

"Yeah, but like, happy screams."

"Happy screams? What is happy screams?" Eleven continued. Addison let out a giggle as she nudged Max.

"I'm just.. gonna lend you my mom's Cosmo."

Addison gulped as she stared at the house. "I really don't know about this, Max."

"Well, his car's not here. You really wanna do this?"

"No." Addison shook her head no, looking up at Max.

"Yes."

Max gave Addison's hand a reassuring squeeze as she led the two up her stairs and through her house.

Addison stood at the end of the hallway, staring at the door. "I'm really, really not sure about this.."

"It's okay, we'll be fine." Max reassured, "You don't have to go into his room if you don't want to."

Addison smiled briefly, standing on her tippy toes and pecking Max on the lips. "Thanks."

Max nodded in acknowledgement before she and El entered his bedroom.

Minutes later, the two returned with empty hands and Eleven suggested they try the bathroom.

"If we get caught and I die I'm gonna haunt you.. Wait, but you'd be dead too...Oh, no.." Addison frowned, looking around the bathroom. "Oh, ice bath."

"Max?" Eleven pointed to the tub filled with icy water.

"Yeah, it's just ice like my weirdo said. It's probably for his muscles or something." Max said lifting up a plastic bag from the water. "He works out like a maniac."

Addison watched as Eleven turned around and quickly opened the cabinets under the bathroom.

"El, what is it?"

She pulled out a lifeguard fanny pack and whistle from the trashcan. Addison furrowed her eyebrows and looked over at Max.

The booming clapping of the thunder caused Addison to jump and grip onto Max's arm.