Chapter Thirty-Four

I had spent two weeks at the cabin with Jeremy and Alaric, Matt coming and visiting twice. I had asked Matt how Tyler was going, he handed me a latter in which Tyler had written to me. I read the letter and felt a few tears fall down my cheeks. He had left again, helping another Hybrid from being sired to Klaus. He had apologised he hadn't seen me in person, but he had gone looking for me but couldn't find me. I forgave him for that. Tyler was honest. I hid the letter away in my bag, cherishing it. when I arrived home, I kicked the door open and shouted. Elena appeared with a smile on her face. She then turned and looked a little weary as Jeremy walked up behind me.

"I need to do some washing, Jer leave what you want washed and I will throw it in with mine."

I was going to give them some privacy. I walked into the laundry room, throwing my clothes into the machine and leaving it for when Jeremy was ready. I walked past them sitting in the living room in silence and scowled. Jeremy turned to me and I pointed a finger at him. Elena turned my way and I gave her a smile. as soon as I walked into my bedroom, I fell onto my bed and sighed. I missed my bed. settling in, I grabbed my phone before texting Bonnie and checking in with her. I had been texting with Bonnie when my phone started to ring. Damon's name flashed across my screen.

"Yes?" I answered a little sourly.

"My favourite, little Gilbert."

"Out with it." I rolled my eyes. Damon could never flatter me without it having an ulterior motive.

"We need a Kol distraction tonight."

"Why me?" I whined.

"He likes you."

"He hates you, why can't you go and let him snap your neck?" I asked with a serious note.

"That will distract him for no more then a few seconds." Damon grumbled. "This is serious. We need to break into their house."

I tapped my lip, what had I missed with being away for two weeks? I sighed.

"Where am I meeting him?"

I tapped my foot impatiently on the footpath, watching for Kol's arrival. I had called him and said we should 'catch up'. He sounded rather excited and now here I was, standing in the street like an idiot waiting for the original vampire to show up.

"Well, this is a lovely surprise." I froze. That voice. It haunted me always in my nightmares. I turned slowly, seeing a smiling Klaus standing behind me.

"Klaus." He gave him a quick nod, fear washing through me.

"What's a lovely girl like you doing all alone on such a beautiful evening?" he asked. his hands were tied behind his back and a smirk on his face. He stepped forward and my body froze in place by fear.

"I'm m-m-meeting someone." I stuttered out.

"I see. Who is this fine chap? Does Kol know?" he asked.

"Yes." I answered. Of course, Kol knows. Its Kol!

"Well my little brother isn't fond of sharing. I would be very surprised if the chap would be living much longer." he mused.

"Ok." I nodded. My heart was beating hard and I felt panic rising. Klaus just smirked even more, if that was possible.

"Though it does raise my suspicions, why the sudden interest in my brother?"

I narrowed my eyes, so he knew I was meeting Kol and just trying to scare me. Well it actually worked; I was terrified of Klaus.

"Why do you care?" I asked. I could feel this anger rising in me which meant Jeremy was going dark again. Klaus's eyes narrowed at me. clearly not use to my attitude toward him. The anger fell from his face as he looked rather amused.

"Hit a nerve, love?" he asked tauntingly.

I stayed silent, narrowing my eyes. Klaus stepped up to me, hand cupping my chin as he leaned down.

"My brother may be fond of you, but he would never settle for a mortal. Not one as weak as you. I would suggest that you do well to remember this, Kol is a Homicidal Maniac. The second he bores of you will be the second you are dead. I give it a month. Enjoy your evening, love."

Klaus used his speed to disappear. I blinked a few times before a lump formed in my throat. I walked off quickly, feeling the tears running down my face. My vision blurred, I rubbed the tears away, trying to force down the pain in my heart.

"Jordan?" a gentle voice asked.

I turned around, tears were still brimming in my eyes, I wiped them away before trying to smile.

"Hey Care."

Caroline walked up, wrapping her arms around me. I cried into her chest and she stroked my hair.

"Come on, let's get you off the street."

Caroline and I walked into her house, she fixed me up a hot chocolate, making herself one too. As she sat down, she looked at me with a small smile.

"Are you ok?" she asked.

"Klaus." I answered with.

I watched as the smile fell and replaced with a scowl.

"Argh! That name needs to be banned from this house." She muttered angrily. I gave a small laugh.

"Mine too, I think."

We remained silent for a few minutes. Caroline gave me time to shift through my thoughts before I told her what happened. I told her what Klaus had said and she nodded in understanding.

"I'm not siding with him....I would rather scoop out my own eyeballs.......but maybe he was trying to warn you?" she offered gently. I blinked at her.

"Maybe." I shrugged, feeling this empty hollow feeling inside. I got up and headed to Caroline's bedroom, sliding into her bed. She came in, sitting on the side of the bed and stroked my hair.

"Get some sleep. I will see you in the morning."

I nodded and watched the door shut. I grabbed my phone as the screen lit up with another missed call. I sighed before sending Jeremy and Elena a message and turned off my phone. 

I woke the next morning, stretching before getting out of bed. Caroline handed me a coffee as she switched on the news. I grabbed the sugar, adding two teaspoons in and mixing it around before adding more milk. I sat beside her on the bench when a story about an animal attack happening early hours of this morning. Three people were dead. I turned to Caroline with dread and I could see the look in her eyes too.

"Do you think Klaus?" I asked.

She nodded.

"Who else could it be?" she asked.

We listened, hearing that the people had bite marks in their necks and were torn to pieces. I shuddered. That sounded like a horrible way to go. I felt something wash over me as I listened to the victim's names being said. Kol. His name rattled through my head as I turned to the screen and watched. I don't think it was Klaus. I think it was Kol.