19.

As soon as word got around the Glade that Newt and Katie were a thing, there was really only one reaction: "They weren't together already?" Newt's protectiveness over her, not to mention the threats he placed on anyone who joked about mistreating her, gave everyone the impression that they've been together for a while now.

However, now that they were together, people definitely noticed a difference. It was as if the two read each other's minds because they could be across a room and know exactly what the other needed. It took a while for the boys to see that they were just signing to each other—yet another thing that made them believe they were already dating. Although Katie's sign language was pretty easy, no one tried as hard as Newt to learn it. Even if a good amount of the boys in the glade knew sign language, Newt and Katie went too fast for them to fully keep up.

"Come on, Katie!" Dart became exasperated as Katie furiously signed. The two were in a bit of an argument. "Just help him!"

He can't do anything! She signed, and Dart narrowed his eyes at her.

"I know that." He lowered his voice before smiling a smug smile. "You're the only one who won't yell at him."

Katie clenched her jaw, and Dart knew he won the argument. She motioned an unpleasant phrase and stomped off to find the newbie, who was in the gardens with a frustrated-looking Frypan. They both looked at her when she approached them, and Frypan held a grateful look.

She signed that she was there to help, and Frypan nodded, grabbing the Greebean by the shoulder.

"This here's Katie; she'll help you for the rest of your time in the kitchen." He said that, and Katie took a look at the kid.

He was young, with round cheeks, baby fat, and curly hair. He tried to smile, but his face burned up, and he looked down.

"I'll see you both at dinner." Frypan smiled, slapped the kid on the back, and ruffled Katie's hair before leaving.

Katie turned to the kid and pointed at him. In confusion, the kid pointed at himself with a blank face, and Katie sighed. She held out her two thumbs and index fingers, drawing them outwards like a banner, but the kid just stared at her. She raised an eyebrow.

"Oh!" He said. "My name's Chuck."

Katie nodded, pointing to the basket of unripe vegetables that lay beside him. Chuck kicked it slightly with his foot, but I underestimated his power because he spilled the vegetables on the ground. He cringed.

"I'm not very good at this." He said so, and Katie had to agree.

She grabbed the now-empty basket and motioned for Chuck to follow her as they walked through the vines. Katie tried her best to show Chuck how to tell if a fruit or vegetable was ripe, but he couldn't really get the hang of it. He ended up shadowing Katie, who told him to just stay and keep talking while she worked.

"So, can you speak?" He asked, and Katie nodded. "You just don't?"

She agreed.

"I noticed you the first night I was here—at the Greenie party."

Katie chuckled a bit. It would be odd if he didn't notice the only girl here.

"You were with Newt," he said as he plucked a piece of grass beside him, and Chuck sat down not long after Katie began picking the food."He's so cool."

The girl had to raise an eyebrow at this. While she thought her boyfriend was cool, how did a four-day-old kid come to this conclusion?Chuck noticed Katie's expression and looked down at his blade of grass.

"I know I'm no good at anything; I mess everything up." He said. "Newt's nice about it, at least." "Not like Gally, who nearly chased me out with a hammer."

Katie's expression softened when she saw the boy. She, too, heard what the boys were saying about him.

She gently reached out and took the blade of grass from Chuck, making him look at her. She shook her head and ruffled his hair, a gesture she never made but that brought a smile to the boy's lips.

Then Katie stood up with the basket, motioning for Chuck to help her. He scrambled to his feet and helped her carry it back to the kitchens; nothing fell out this time. The rest of the day was spent with Katie trying to teach Chuck while involving him as much as possible. Unfortunately, his talent was not in the kitchen, and Katie knew she wouldn't be seeing him here again.

At the fire that night, with everyone eating dinner, Katie took it upon herself to sit with Chuck so he wasn't alone. She felt protective of him because he was the youngest boy here and the others weren't doing much to guide him.

Chuck continued to talk to Katie while they ate until Newt showed up. He sat down beside Katie and swung an arm over her shoulder. Katie noticed Chuck's face light up at the sight of Newt.

"Hey, Chuck, how was working in the kitchen today?" He asked, and Katie reached to hold his hand.

"Really good!" Chuck nodded. "Katie's a really good teacher."

Newt laughed.

"That's good." He said. "You think the kitchen's a good fit then?"

Chuck shook his head violently. Katie let go of Newt's hand, and he dropped his arm as she turned to face him. She said that he was too clumsy; she didn't want him to cut himself. Chuck watched her sign in amazement, and Newt nodded with a hum. He responded with a "no go" sign, and Katie agreed.

"Can you teach me that?" Chuck interrupted the two, his interest piqued, and Newt laughed.

"You stay around her long enough, and you'll pick it up whether you want to or not." He told Chuck, and Katie rolled her eyes. as if Newt didn't stay up for hours with her just to learn sign language.

But Chuck seemed happy at this thought. He turned to Katie.

"I may not be placed in the kitchens, but we can hang out after chores." Katie smiled and nodded, signing that she would like that, and Chuck made a clumsy attempt to copy it.